Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FRONT LOCKER

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 2BLAZERS, Nov 16, 2001.

1. 2BLAZERS

2BLAZERS 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I could use some help deciding on what locker for the front diff.
    It will be Dana 60 from Boyce Equipment. Will be running 39 Boggers for wheeling in Western OR and WA. Do mostly trail riding which includes mud, rocks and hill climbs. Boyce has the Lock-Rite for 469, Power Lock and Detroit Soft Locker for 595, Trac Lock for 385. ARB with compressor would be 1003. What has everyone's experience been with the above? Is the ARB worth the extra money. I am leaning towards the ARB or the Trac-Lock. Please do not comment on my decision to go with Boyce.

2. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

If you can swing the arb go for it. I think you can use the compressor for airing up your tires as well. That and you don't have to get out of your truck to lock up. I run a loc right up front and when I can afford a dana 60 you can bet on an arb going up front.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

3. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Lock Right is a great locker, and it's very easy to remove if you want something else later on.

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If you run trails that require 39" Boggers, than you do NOT want a Trac-Lock. They just are not that aggressive and will leave only one tire spinning in even minor conditions. I've had personal experience with Detroit Tru-Tracs, Eaton carbon fiber Posi, and several Trac-Locks........and the Trac-Locks were the least effective off-road by far.

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Welcome Oregonian.............[​IMG]

I run a Detroit (not the Soft Locker, the real thing) in my D60..........like the feeling of guaranteed traction. ARB IMHO is too much $$ for a product I read of a lot of problems with on various boards/email lists. Power-Lok I hear is the next best thing to a Detroit. All depends on your preference. Only, and I mean <font color=green>only</font color=green> drawback to a Detroit is some say you have problems turning on tight trails. I usually only run sand (at Sand Lake) and even cresting hills and making quick turns I had no problems. I don't regret going with the Detroit at all.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

6. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

LINCOLN LOCKERS RULE!!!!!!

7. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

trac lok? may as well stay open
    powerlok or detroit is where i would put my money, and hey i did. i have a powerlok in my front 60.
    if i were to do it again i would try a ARB or OX or Detroit, only due to the vast info I found online.
    the selectables would be a huge help in winter highway running where a front locked up is a bit unnerving to 'normal' people

8. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

If you're going to the trouble and expense of a D60 front and 39 Boggers, chances are you're going to use them, in which case the front diff is no place to cut corners. I run a Detriot, and am happy with it. Some guys like ARBs, I don't have any personal experience with them. The only budget diff I would consider running is a Lincoln Locker. Unless you plan on doing a lot of on-road snow driving (which would be pretty miserable with 39" boggers anyway), I personally wouldn't spend the $ on an ARB. Mine was still a DD when I first locked the front, just use 2wd in the snow (on the road) and drive slow. Then when everybody else gets stuck, lock in your hubs and start throwing rooster tails. [​IMG]

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

9. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

My friend has an 87 Bronco and we put a Dana 70 HD rear end under it. We set up an ARB and that's the best thing in the world. Quiet for on street use, turns VERY well, but turns into a full spool when turned on. The Compressor can be used to air up tires and works very well. I'd say, if you use the ARB, put a magnetic cover on it to pick up any metal flakes that can mess up the seals. If you want cheap, but still VERY effective, go for the Full Detroit. Those EZ lockers are great for their price and ease of installation, but I've heard of them wearing out very quickly and they are NOISY.

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

EZ lockers are for tiny tires and light trucks...a heavy right foot and 31's will likely destroy it. A front Detroit for a D60 should be a full carrier version.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

11. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

If you can get the money together go ARB. That sort of on/offroad performance is unmatched. A few of my buddies have them and they are great. I threw a detroit in up front but thats because i just ddnt have the money for ARB.

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. Locked front and back.

12. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I've run a lockright in my 10 bolt and it took everything the 297's would dish out. Then I went to an ARB so it would turn better on hard surfaces and to allow me to run with the front engaged in the snow and other slick roads. I also like to drive in 4wd when I'm blazing down dirt roads and it handles WAY better with an open front and locked rear compared to locked both ends. On hard surfaces the turning radius is quite a bit better with an open front, and better yet if you just use front wheel drive with it open. (that's what I did at TTC, worked out well even with an air bubble in the cutting brakes)
    When I went to the D60 there was no question about installing the ARB, I just did it.

On the other hand, I've been on runs where I locked the ARB and never unlocked it till I was done. That's typically in snow and mud where you have to turn with the throttle anyway, so if that's the stuff you wheel the most, a detroit wouldn't hurt you a bit.

For what I do though, I like the ARB. The only problems I've had with them are more related to the steering wheel nut (me) than anything technical so I basically consider them reliable and strong.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>