Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Lockright Installation *PICS*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, Feb 19, 2006.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Well, I finally finished installing my front lockright. Took almost two days because I got started late yesterday, and had to stop last night so I could get a better torque wrench today. Had a little trouble getting the carrier back into the diff housing, but I got it all in, and it actually works. I tested it on jack stands first like the directions suggested, and everything seemed fine. I then drove it and its locking and unlocking properly and doesnt actually make too much noise. If anyone is planning to do this, feel free to ask some questions as it is still fresh in my mind.
    BTW- I took some pictures while I was working. The second one shows why it took so long to do, as I am a little distracted in the picture.:D
    -Harrison

DSCN0395.JPG

DSCN0396.JPG

DSCN0401.JPG

DSCN0402.JPG

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  2. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

A few more....

DSCN0404.JPG

DSCN0406.JPG

DSCN0407.JPG

3. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just wondering why you took dif out to install ?

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

The cross shaft would come out without hitting the ring gear so that worked. But the lockright wouldnt go into the diff with the ring gear attached, so I took it out to take the ring gear off. It was a little bit of a pain to get the carrier back into the diff housing, but it wasnt too bad. And using a shop vice to take the ring gear off, and install everything made it really easy. Plus, there are only 4 bolts holding the carrier in so its not that hard to get out.
    BTW- You got your lockright in with the carrier still in the housing? That seemed more difficult to me. But I dont know.
    -Harrison

6. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

You mean I was s'post to take it out?
    Not laughing at you Harrison, I do some amazing stuff sometimes.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

As long as the crosshaft/pinion pin will come out past the ring gear , you shouldn't have to remove the carrier on a 10 bolt .

D44's , yes , even with standard ratios , the carrier needs to come out most times because of ring gear interference . That , and that damn roll pin which can be a pain sometimes .

I have done a few myself now for other people , looked so easy the first couple times Marv helped me with mine :thumb:

8. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok Cool.. Sorry looked like 10b in pic "kinda dark"

Did mine 45min front and rear diff in. Was thinking hours at first before I started.

9. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

I took days, lost a spring:haha:

10. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

It is a 10 bolt.
    -Harrison

11. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I took the carrier out and then realized that the cross shaft would come out with the carrier still in the axle. I was kinda pissed. But when I went to put the lockright in place of the spider gears, my brother and I could not see how to physically get the lockright in without the ring gear being removed. There was enough room to get the cross shaft out, but no matter how I turned the components of the lockright, there wasnt enough room because the ring gear was in my way by about 1/8". Maybe we are retards, but neither my brother or I could figure out how to get it in the carrier with the ring gear attached. So we ended up having to take the carrier out anyways because the ring gear was in our way. I believe you did it while still in the truck. I dont know what was up with mine, but the ring gear was definitely impeding the progress of the lockright. Anyways, we started at 2 on saturday and finished at 5 on sunday. We stopped often, ran into a small snag with torquing the ring gear bolts back on, and started late sunday too. If I had to do it again, it would be much faster. All in all, it was a pretty easy and straightforward job. The lockright instructions were somewhat vague in places, but was definitely not as hard as when I tried to disassemble my whole tilt steering column.:doah:
    BTW- I noticed that the shear pins appear could break fairly easily (thats their job anyways isnt it). But, the pins and springs can definitely be replaced very very easily in minutes in the truck. Where can I get extra pins and springs? Anyone know?
    -Harrison

12. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well then , you can do it with the carrier in , unless you have some ungodly low arse gears :D

13. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

They are Yukon gear 4.56's. Maybe that has something to do with it?:confused: Or maybe it was that damn keg of iceouse that kept us hydrated during the install.:doah: Either way, we tried and tried and tried but just couldnt get the lockright in cause it kept hitting the ring gear. Maybe we just missed one angle on it. I dont know. At least we got it in and it seemed to be working fine for the 10 or so minutes I got to test it out.:D
    -Harrison

14. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Dude,

I have to replace the inner axle seals on my D60, so will probably install a Lockright at the same time...since I have to have everythign apart etc...

roadnotca...are you talking about one of theose little tiny springs? What do they do as I found one floating around my axle housing and have no idea what it is for.

15. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I don't really understand?? You do realize you put the Lock-right inside the carrier piece by piece, and not all together.........right?? If you can get the crosspin out I just don't see how you could not get the pieces of the Lock-right in????

16. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Noahrob, the "tiny springs" you're talkin look like oversize ball point pen springs? I'm only familiar with the 10b kit but it has a dual spring setup (4 pairs), inner and outer. They preload the pins (drivers?). Its been quite a while since My install. I don't have pics but the richmond site has pics, I think. You could also try the net cause I think I had seen an install article in one of the mags, not nececessarily 4X4 mag but maybe Hot Rod mag. If all the springs aren't installed but you found it in the case, consider yourself lucky. I had to make my spring. Over(?)

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think this is the problem