Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front main seal out...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Jan 15, 2003.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

ok... how hard is the front main seal to replace... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

what is entailed... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I drove 10 miles and had 2 quarts of oil dripping off of everything in the engine compartment on the pass side of the motor.. from the headers down... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Pretty easy if ya have the right tools.
    remove the damper, pop out the seal, install the new one. if ya don't have a damper press make one.
    I have several for various engines.
    All I do is go to the store and buy a grade 8 bolt that is about 4" long and run a die down to the head.
    Then run a nut down it and grease up the washer.
    thread it into the crank and hold the bolt with a wrench and run the nut down till the damper is bottomed out.
    About an hr and a half job.

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

You may want to sleeve the damper too if there is any wear on it..

John

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

cant say that ive ever sleeved the shaft of a balancer or dampner due to the worn groove in the shaft surface, although ive never really ran such an engien for another 100k so hmm,.,

if the surface is deeply grooved then you may want to consider the sleeve and seal kit, its only a few bucks more atlocal store

good luck

5. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

If the balancer/dampener shaft has a groove in it, definitely use the sleeve kit. I've used one before and it worked great. As far as the tools to take off the balancer and install it again, try your local auto parts store as some of these places rent these tools for free or a minimal charge. Try Checker/Shucks/Kragen or Pep Boys if you have one in your area. Definitely do not use a hammer to put the balancer back on, as you will damage the balancer.

6. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

how do i know if i need a sleve kit??? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

You will need to pull the balencer to find out. Look for any deep groovs or a really worn area on the end.

8. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

hey Aaron whats up? If you need some help with that seal and can wait until the weekend I can give you a hand. Maybe I could trade you fixing your Jimmy for welding on my exhaust and fixing a leak I have????? Let me know. Its a easy job fixing the seal and I would have to guess you might need a sleeve on your harmonic balancer if it has a lot of miles on it. Not a big job later Jeff

9. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

that would be killer jeff!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'm at the end of the roap with this truck... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

10. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Aaron send me a p mail with directions to your house. We will go and get the seal and sleeve when we get yours off or you can pickup both tonight or what ever