Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front open or l/s?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

im having new gears put in my axles and thinkin about replacing the open front diff with a limited slip. the rear already has a trutrac. should i go with another trutrac or an auburn l/s? the truck is used up in the snow every year so i want something snow friendly. also what do ya guys think of Genuine Gear for R/P? good product?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Personally I'd get a Powr-Lok. They have a very strong bias ( can be made weaker by running extra l/s additive) and are rebuildable. I had an Auburn pro in my old 12 bolt and broke it in under 5000 miles. </font>

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my buddy claims his welded front is awesome in the snow but it hops like crazy. No way I would do that since mines a snow and trail vehicle.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

id definitely put some kind of locker in the front don't leave it open /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I really want a lockright in my 44. may be a bit much with 38s but oh freaking well, breaking is natures way of saying its time for an upgrade.

6. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Personally I'd get a Powr-Lok. They have a very strong bias ( can be made weaker by running extra l/s additive) and are rebuildable. I had an Auburn pro in my old 12 bolt and broke it in under 5000 miles.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought the powerlok was a locker, not l/s, maybe im mixing it up with the lockright. the auburn broke in your 12 bolt? ive heard they wear out fast in the rear axle, but i thought they would be pretty durable in a front axle that only gets engaged a few times a year . i would just get another trutrac but ive heard and noticed they dont have very good bias. maybe the powerlok is the ticket.
    what's the powerlok go for? it isnt listed in my 4WPW mag (where im getting the parts/work done) i know the trutrac and auburn are both about 340.00 from them.
    [ QUOTE ]
    i'd definitely put some kind of locker in the front don't leave it open

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont want a locker in the front causs i want it to be somewhat tame, dont want to break parts and cant afford an ARB. are you calling limited slips lockers?

7. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i just did some reading and saw the Powerlok is a dana unit only for the 44 and 60. what im really wondering is whether to put a trutrac or auburn in the front . /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

8. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

my buddy has a lockright in his jeep.with 35s it unlocks real well around corners if you let off the gas pedal.if you give it a lot of power it will lock back up on you though.it is a hell of a lot easier to drive with then my detroit in my rear.that thing dont seem to unlock at all.every once in a while it will unlock fully but not often.i would go with a lockright in the front.i think there is a one year warrantee also.i heard the power locks are good also.what they are is a limited slip that locks more and more as you give it more gas and increase the torque output to the axle.hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info, but i think that powerlok is for dana axles only,at least thats what ive read.and as for the lockright, i dont want a full locker, just a l/s, ive heard lockers in the front or back in snow is a bad idea, and thats where i mainly use 4wd.

10. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I was advised some time ago to use l/s in the rear and open in front for snow. I have a Trutrac in the rear.