Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front/rear bumper bolts...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bone85K5, May 14, 2001.

1. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

How do i get these out? I got out a few...the rest just turn but the nuts dont come off, the bolt and the nut turn together..I have been soaking them for a few days with PB stuff and WD40..any ideas?

Ben
    www.BenjaminBone.coloradoK5.com

2. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

If I remember right, there's a square collar on those bolts that sit in the bumper so you can unbolt it without needing something to hold onto the bolt head. If these are stripped or missing, try getting on it with some vise grips and use an impact gun in the nut (after you make sure you have a good grip) All else fails, drill through the center of the head (use a quality bit, these bolts are strong) until you can knock the bolt head off and replace it with a new one. .....Have you considered using heat??

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

They have a square head that sits in the bumper flat to prevent it from spinning around. They sometimes can be a pain in the ass to get off.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda</A>

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

It's called a "carriage bolt" and, yes, it does have a square shank under the round head that is supposed to lock in the square holes on a bumper. They frequently round out. If it does, your only choices (unless you get lucky and the vise grips hold, not likely) are to drill/burn off the bolt head, burn off/split the nut, or tack the head (with a welder) and cut it loose after removing the nut. The third option would not be good for a chrome bumper. [​IMG] One other option is to take a nut and weld it to the rounded bolt head (through the hole in the nut) so that you can hold onto it. This also works with other "rounded off" bolt heads.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

BadDog is right. I had to drill out my carriage bolts out when I switched out front bumpers. It sucked and took a while, so be prepared.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad