Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front rear leaf spring hangers??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Nov 18, 2001.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I called my local 4wd shop yesterday asking about shims and u-bolts etc, and told him I have a rear shackle flip from a pickup truck. He said he had never heard of that, but he has heard of guys using a front hanger from a 3/4 ton pickup and replacing the K5 front hanger to gain an inch or inch and a half over the stock one. Has anyone heard of this? Is it feasible? Is there a difference in the 1/2 to 3/4 ton rear front hangers?
    Just curious, it could correct a bad diff pinion angle after the flip...

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

PM Blue_Beast - Jason did that for his rear shackle flip.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Souonds interesting! I will have to take osme measurements on my 'new' 3/4 ton and see if there is a difference.

Mike

<font color=green>"1024x768x256... Sounds like one mean woman."</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

4. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Actually, he used a pickup fwd hanger for his rear on the Blazer the same as I did. What I asked is if anyone had swapped a 3/4 ton front hanger with the Blazer front hanger. If someone has a 3/4 ton pickup that could measure the drop from the frame down to the center spring bushing bolt, we could compare them to the Blazer measurements.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]

5. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

I dont think that you could use a 3/4ton rear spring front hanger on an 80s Blazer because the frame kicks out on the Blazer there and the hanger is narrower in width than a 3/4ton with a straight frame. What I think you could do is use a hanger from a 1ton frame because they use the narrow hanger thats why you have to move spring pads when putting 1ton 14bolts in a Blazer. The 1ton hangers are longer than the Blazer hangers by quite abit.
    Grab a tape and measure the distance from the frame to spring center and compare the two and see what you come up with, I have not done the hanger swap but did notice the different when playing around with a couple frames.

RGF

6. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

the brackects will work it matters not that the frame is wider , the bracket is the same width just taller

dents ....
    O R D's axles
    NO BREAKAGE :)

7. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

Your missing my point, the later Blazers frame is wider in the area that the hanger mounts to so in order for the springs to line up with the rear hanger you need to use a hanger that measures the same in WIDTH from the frame to the spring center as the orginal hanger. The 3/4ton trucks had a straight frame that did not flare out where the front hanger was mounted. C

RGF

8. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

i didnt miss nuthing . ;) i have a 3/4 ton and a half ton and have worked on sevral blazers . are you saying that the blazer hangers a wider ? and the 3/4 tons narrower ? i know itll work bcuZ a 3/4 ton 14bolt will bolt into a blazer , no ? tell me if im wrong i might be have been befo

dents ....
    O R D's axles

9. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

1/2 ton frames are straight too , &lt; ijust went and looked &gt; and the hanger looks * the same , i dont have the other truck here ....

dents ....
    O R D's axles

10. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

No, the Blazer front hanger is narrower than the 3/4ton hanger on the 80s Blazers, so if you put the 3/4 hanger on the Blazer frame you will end up with something like 44 1/2" spring center to center in the front and 42 1/2" in the back ( \ / ).
    Someone please step in here if this is making any sense!

RGF

11. mnstr_fx

mnstr_fx Registered Member

Yes, I understand what he is saying since I have a 76' 1/2 ton chassis with a 3/4 ton axle after I figured out the 1 ton axle was too narrow. Basically, if you measure from the frame out to the edge of the spring hanger, on 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks, this distance is longer than that on a 1 ton spring hanger by about 2 inches. This is what I eluded too with my 3/4 ton to 1 ton axle change. A 1 ton is about 42" between perches and 1/2 and 3/4 tons are about 45", (going from memory, so check with a tape).

76-82 Chevy Pickup / Blazer - K5-K10-K30
    90' TBI
    TH 400
    203 / 205 Doubler
    Dana 60, Corp 14 - 4.88'd - Detroit Locked

12. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

So, I guess from what Im reading, a guy could do it as long as he uses a 1 ton hanger?? Or is it a 3/4 ton that is the same position as the 1/2? What kind of drop would you get from it? Would it be worth it to do?

Thanks for the replies
    Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]

13. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

The same way the extended ORD shackles lift the front a bit, it should have the same effect on the rear with the longer hanger. Its just a theory, I've never actually seen it done.

Rod
    Alameda, CA
    85 K5 6"ProComp 35"Boggers 14Bolt/ Dana44 4.10's
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle</a>

14. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    SO,,,,,,,Could one use a 1/2 ton or a 3/4 ton hanger(frt) on the rear?I'm going to the salvage yard Friday...what I'm I looking for..1/2 or 3/4 ton?Also going to get the 56" long springs since I have to remove the old rear hangers anyways.Well as do it one time.Thanks!

15. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Yes, you can use a 1/2 ton front hanger on the rear of your K5. But I still havent seen any measurements for the 3/4 ton front hanger on the front of a K5...

Anyone?
    Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]