Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front reciever hitch

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big d, Jan 12, 2002.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

without mounting a front winch type bumper and/or removing the stock tow hooks, is there a way to mount/place a reciever up front under neath the front bumper. can you mount a step bumper box hitch reciever, or have it welded in place ? i really dont want to detract from the original appearence of my vehicle, but i want to have functionability at the same time. i got the idea off of a pic of a truck the same type as ours in " petersons 4 wheel and offroad " magazine . it would be nice just to occasionaly mount accessories in the reciever when it hits me. im guessing others may be interested in this also. thanks ahead of time for any info.

darrenolander
    galva,il.
    1979chevycheyenneblazer
    350/350
    gettin'down on all fours, 4 a'little
    x4 play !

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

My thought's exactly, I especially didn't want to have a permenently mounted winch around here, it would get trashed the in winter time with all the salt. And I wanted the choice as to winch forward or back.
    Warn now makes a front 2" reciever for '81-'87 1/2T P/U or '81-'91 SUV's and 3/4-1T.
    I don't know if the frame horns are actually different btw a 73-80 style, I pretty sure they are at least the same width.
    I plan to do this with my '73 that I'm building. I plant to investigate the frame horn difference, and if I can't easily adapt the '81-up receiver, or if it looks to wimpy (like the one I bought for my '97) I'll just fab one up.
    I already have a front reciever for my '97 3/4 P/U. I have thr front & Rear recievers. I wired up my own 2Gauge cable with quick connects front & back, and have my Warn HS9500I mounted on then Warn Quick Mount Carrier.
    I find the front reciever has many more uses, such as shoving trailers around the yard, it's so much easier to get them where you want with the trailer mounted to the front. I also rigged up a hitch coupler (slightly modified) with a 3' x 8' piece of plywood and a piece of 1/4" steel for my own makeshift plow. Only $30 and requires no maitntanance (Like plows and snow throwers) and no nasty huge blades to lug around. It works great in a straight line, which is all my driveway requires. (Don't back up or turn with it that will really screw it up, but the straight line save me a lot of work on my 300' drive.).
    I'm sure it has many more uses as well....and looks good too.

BlazerMan

3. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

I made my own. I used a rear receiver off of a surburban, cut the ends off, welded (2x3angleiron) mounting tabs on the frame, and then welded the receiver between the rails directly behind the bumper. I then cut a square hole in the bumper directly behind the license plate. You can't even tell the receiver is back there unless you have the license plate removed and the winch installed.

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Its pretty easy to do if you have access to the right tools and welder.

I built mine into my new bumpers when I made them. If you come out through the original bumper then use a ziz wheel to cut thorugh the bumper, but put about 4 layers of duct tape around where you are gonna cut to keep from gouging/scratching the chrome with slips.

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</a>

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

save your aproch angle and go through the front bumper not under it i have mine up high right at the top of the license plate but still under the license plate so i can just put it back on and you would not even know it is there when webshots comes back on sunday take a look at the pics i have in the album my blazer[​IMG]

wheeling videoshttp://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

This may bot apply but ----

When I do my front bumper, I'm integrating a hitch into my front bumper. It used to be my rear, but 'm going flatbed and cant use it anymore. It's a big piece of 4x8 inch 1/4 inch wall tubeing. I'm gonna go right in the center and cut a square hole on each side, and then find the thickest wall piece of 2 inch inside diameter tube and weld in there. Voila. Like I sadi may not apply if you dont have a big arse bumper.

73k5blazer - I want to do a mulimount too. I was torn between the Warn HS9500i and the Ramsey Platinum 9500. How do you like yours so far?

1978 K20 - 355ci, np205, th400, D44, 14F, 7" of Lift, 36 x 14.5 TSL Radial

7. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

did the same thing with a pickup, and it works great for sticking the hitch hauler in the front

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

8. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Well, I've used it only twice, once to tension the rope per instructions, and once when I got stuck in some mud. It kinda struggled a bit, but didn't seem to have too much trouble. I did start wondering for a second whether it was going to get the job done. It's probable a little under sized for the K2500HD w/6.5TD which wieghs in at 6500# with a full tank. I really sized it for my K5, which has a fiberglass body. (Not done yet......)

BlazerMan

9. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status