Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front recovery crossmember

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieRed, May 15, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

my current tow hooks are bolted in with 1 hook and i refuse to use them that way. there is no other place for a second bolt without mounting them sideways. i want to put a piece of angle iron across the frame to mount recovery shackles or d-rings to. think it would hold? i may need to drill a 3/8" on in the frame on each side to do this and have the bar connected by 4 3/8" bolts and have the shackles mounted just inside of the frame. any thoughts? what have ya'll done?
    thanks,
    red

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It would be less hassle to get a set of factory tow hooks that are made for your truck. The holes to mount them are already in the frame. If you get 'em from a junkyard then you can get the bolts with 'em. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. BowtieRed

i like shackles though /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and i think i could make it look really cool with some 1/4" angle iron

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I don't think 1/4" angle iron would be anywhere near strong enough for a recovery point. Stresses can exceed 40,000 lbs if you are stuck in mud just halfway up the rim. If you look at the factory recovery hooks they are a good 1" thick. I personally do not like the hooks though as slack can make the recovery line slide off. You can take the hook and clamp it in a drill press and drill holes through the shaft of the hook to install clevis' this way you will have plenty of strength and a secure recovery point.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

IMO, you need 2 x 2 x 3/16 minimum for a recover point, and that's with the hooks near the rails. Hook to the center and you'll need braces or heavy wall tube. I'm building a front cross for mine out of 2 x 3 x 1/4 with braces from the center back 45* to the rails. There will be a receiver hitch in the center and I'll use the pin as the "hook point"...

<edit> BTW, angle iron is good only for bracket type stuff, it has little or no structural integrity except in tension... Try to make a hook point out of the stuff and it will twist and collapse at the first pull (unless you gusset the crap out of it and then, why bother with angle to start with?).

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Re: Front recovery crossmember

[/ QUOTE ]

why add other x-members when a well-designed bumper is already there for this purpose? Doesnt have to be fancy or expensive... a local welding/fab place could make u a simple one purdy cheap (if u dont have any friends that can weld).

j

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Get some factory hooks for your generation. Or, get some 88-98 hooks and bolt them to the side of the frame's channel.

I hope you aren't using those POS pro-comp hooks or any of those little Jeep hooks. They break real easy. I've seen stronger mooring brackets. They're too small to fit a real recover strap's loop through without tying it on. They're cast instead of forged so they break before they bend whereas all of GM's hooks are forged and bend long before they break.

A piece of angle iron isn't going to hack it. It'll just bend.

If you're dead set on using those hooks you're going to at least need a 3/8" thick piece of channel. 3/8" bolts are too wimpy. 1/2" Grade 5 with backing plates so it doesn't distort the frame. Grade 8 is too brittle in my opinion.

8. BowtieRed

i was reconsidering and i thinkg i'll take those holes and get some thick channelling and drill a hole across for the shackles so they hang down. my factory bumper is certainly not strong enough for any kind of recovery.

but if i got some 1/4" thick channel, would that be good for a bracket?

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    my factory bumper is certainly not strong enough for any kind of recovery.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is why u make (or have made) a new bumper. You are talking about buying steel/materials already... why not just make a real bumper?!?!

j

10. BowtieRed

i have $0.00 i am 16 i am looking at a winch bumper right now, and when i can afford a winch then i will buy it, this is temporary, plus i haven't even paid my truck off yet, still owe about 6k (truck+mods)

11. BowtieRed

well i went to tractor supply company today and they definitely have some thick enough metal for some brackets to put shackles on, now putting the brackets on is the tough part- where should i mount the brackets?
    thanks,
    red

12. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

gettin a job might help, wouldnt it? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

spread the load over a lot of the frame.
    winch bumpers with hooks usually end up tearing the frame horns off so do not count on that working.
    they look cool as they fly off thou

14. BowtieRed

look what bowtie done bought!! [​IMG]

yep, 7/8" thick with 3/4" pin /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I've learned not to use clevises with pinned pins. When they bend (the clevis) the pin pulls out and you have a 5lb piece of shrapnel. I only use the threaded pins.

16. BowtieRed

presicely why i got those- i'm going to be welding a large piece around the side with the pin, to protect them from theft. i got the non-threaded because they were $8 less and i didn't need the threads because they would be welded anyway

17. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

You're going to want to take them off when your not using them anyhow. The clinging noise will drive you insane.

18. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Not to mention they need to be taken off to hook up a tug strap to them. It seems like you are rushing things and not fully thinking them through.

Man I miss being a teenager /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

19. BowtieRed

did i mention i got 3 hours of sleep last night? thanks