Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front right brake acting up.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Goose, Mar 22, 2001.

1. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Finally found some mud around here. Had a good time, flexed the suspension an old washed out road with large rocks and stuff. About got stuck in some mud along the river and had the front left tire swallowed by a hole in a water hole. Took a while to back out of that one. Had water over my exhaust and up the the bottom of the door and over the winch in the front (hope it doesn't hurt it) It was a good time, too bad I was by myself and couldn't get too crazy.

Anyway, I got my rear brakes wet and was drying them by doing some long stops on a sand road. After they started working good again, I did a few 4 wheel lockups just to see how the braking system was working. Well, the front right tire just doesn't want to lock up. It works some and will lock a little if I really hammer the brakes. The other 3 will lock long before with the rear two locking first. This sucks because the front right not locking puts me into a spin if I lock 'em up. I think this has been present for a while since this winter I had trouble keeping it straight when slowing quickly on the snow packed roads.

Anyway, anybody have a similar problem and any trouble shooting ideas besides replacing the proportioning valve. ( I really don't want to do that)

[​IMG]

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Re: About got stuck, and no have messed up brake

There could be something lodged in the brake line(like if it sat for a while and a bug made himself a home in there or something) Not too exspensive to replace. Also check to see if the rotor needs turning/replacing

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize you are in a hurry."

3. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

You just might have some air in that caliper. Try bleeding it and that might take care of it, otherwise I'd say you have a hanging caliper.

David 75K5
    http://www.extremeblazer.com

[​IMG]

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I know how you feel. My right front is doing most of the braking right now. I think when the previous owner did the brakes before I bought it, he somehow cocked the left front caliper piston in the bore. The pull wasn't bad when I bought it, but it's starting to get serious now.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

5. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

If air is in caliper pedal will go to floor. More than likely a piston hanging up in the caliper. Or could be corroded caliper pins not leeting it slide. Calipers are only 10.00 at autozone with 10.00 core. I would try replacing calipers and buy new pins you will need 4 auto zone has these too. Can't remember price but not much. May have to ask for caliper bolts depends if they know what you are talking about. Prop vavle contols front to back brake bias not side to side and rarely go bad.

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You should also check the flexible brake line on that side. If it gets a pin hole in the lining, fluid will be forced into it making a bubble that will seal (partially or completely) off that line. It happened to me. I must have spent hours trying to figure out why my truck insisted on pulling really hard to one side.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

7. 87K54WD

87K54WD 1/2 ton status

I've got a similar problem ... with a brake pull to the right. It gets pretty bad when I have to brake hard. I haven't had time to take a look at it yet. Seems like a lot of people have this problem with the brake pulls to the right. I remember a post a while back from someone that had the same problem and after lots of time and money finally found out that the prop. valve was bad.

8. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replys. I have new pro-comp braided lines up front so it sounds like I need to inspect and/or replace the calipers. I looked into this a while back, and even bought a couple. I couldn't bring myself to replace them, the quality was just so bad. The clearences were way off and the casting was not as sharp so I took them back. Don't really want to buy GM parts, but it's starting to look that way. My rig is a '73, so it's probably about time.

Oh yeah, the right side doesn't have a dust shield or what ever you call that thing that protects the disc. I wonder if this has somehow effected the pads and/or disc. Like maybe letting more crud get on the pads and wearing them quicker than the other side or maybe contributing to the disc glazing...

This just gets better. It's overdue to have the wheel bearings repacked/inspected and now it sounds like I need some caliper and/or disc work. At least it's not cold as ....anymore.

BTW, I saw a sweet mid '80s K5 for sale while I was out today. was red/black w/auto cruise/ac/etc Silverado w/4 headlights. Too bad I'm not in the market. It was nice.

[​IMG]

9. blazbrnc

blazbrnc 1/2 ton status

I had a similar problem with my '79. It seemed like the truck pulled slightly to the left when no brakes were applied, then jerked to the right while braking. After a couple mile drive I got out and felt the left front rim and it was very hot. The caliper was hung up. I changed out the caliper and the problem was gone. Well kinda gone. A few days later I changed out the right caliper also. GM calipers tend to lose their effectiveness after 20 years. With the new calipers installed it stops decent.

10. 87K54WD

87K54WD 1/2 ton status

How much did the GM calipers cost per unit?

11. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

Get a rebuilt caliper from napa. that way it wont put a huge dent in your pocket, just a small one.

JD

12. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Hey BadDog, thanks for that tip. I never thought about that before... I'll have to check my lines now.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!