Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front rotor removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nad, Apr 5, 2006.

1. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Okay, so one of my lugs is stripped out, and I bought a new one to replace it with. The problem is, when I take the wheel off on the front D44, the rotor doesn't just slide off. The locking hub is I guess in the way. Well I took about half of it apart, when I couldn't figure out what else to take off.

Anyone know the secret of getting the rotor off a D44 with manual locking hubs? Thanks in advance.

2. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

im typin it up give me a sec

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Remove six allan screws holding the outer hub half on. Remove snap rings holding inner hub half in, and pull it out. Remove the outer hub lock nut from the spindle with the special D44 four prong hub nut socket. Slide the lock ring off the spindle. Remove inner hub nut. Slide hub and rotor assemble off of the spindle. Pound out bad lug studs, replace, pound in new ones.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, then you need a manual or an experienced friend that can help. Or do some searching...

4. ct85k10

ct85k10 1/2 ton status

beat me to it

5. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Ah, so it is true that I need a "special tool" to take the nut off from inside the hub. I'm just worried I'll screw the hub up taking it all apart like that....

6. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Allow me...All you have to do is revove the caliper, remove the six screews that hold the outer part of the hub on. At that point(im guessing you have internally locking hubs) you should have a small snap ring around the axel shaft it self( snap ring should be about an inch in diameter) and another that holds the inner part of the hub in thats about 2 1/2 inch diameter.(this one ma be tough to spot if theres lots of exess grease or any mud in there. any how remove those two snap rings, At this point you should be able to pull the inner hub out.

For the next step you will need a special socket. Its a four "prong" castle nut socket. Youll need this to remove the two bearing preload nuts that are in behind the hub that you just pulled out. There will be one castle nut, then a big washer with lots of holes follwed by another castle nut after you have removed those three items the rotor will just slide off. any more questions or if i did as terrible of job explaining that as i think i did just let me know

7. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

damit! oh well theres really nothing to screw up. but if your worried about it best off at least having someone else help you with it. Getting the bearing nuts adjusted properly isnt easy if youve never had to do it or dont know exactly what to look for

8. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Alright, thanks guys. Yeah, my neighbor has the special socket, and he knows what he's doing. I'll just have him supervise while I use his socket ;) Thanks again for the help.

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Now that sounds like a plan.

Sorry I snaked it from you y5mgisi. I saw your "I'm typin it up" post right when I finished. Thought ah crap, he's not gonna know till he's done! :eek1: :o :crazy: :haha: