Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front rotor/spindle ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Oct 17, 2000.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Anyone know what size spindle socket I need to get to take the front rotors off a 90 Jimmy 10 bolt 8.5? Also, does you know if the bearings are pressed in the rotors or can I but new bearings and replace while I'm in there? If so, do you know the torque specs for the bearings?
    Ok, so it was 3 questions.

Don't you buy no ugly truck!

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

it is a 4 prong socket. Go to Auto Zone or Parts America and they should know what you need.

Torque - I do it until they feel just slightly tight. That way with the wheel on the spin somewhat freely. HTH

And the bearings are seperate and do not Press fit. They just slide in!

HTH

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

According to the book, torque the front spindle bearing nut (inner) to 50 ft lbs (while spinning the rotor). Then loosen the nut and while spinning the rotor again, retorque the inner nut to 35 ft lbs. Then loosen the nut 1/4 turn. Place the lock ring and loosen it so the pin fits in the next hole. Torque the outer nut to 50 ft lbs. The rear wheel bearings will fall out after you pop out the rear seal. There is a smaller axle/spindle roller bearing that is inside the spindle that is an interference fit. Dont forget to grease it. If it isn't mising rollers, I'd clean it up, grease it then put it back together.

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Well, unfortunately the people hired at Autozones these days don't know jack unless the computer tells them and I've seen it to be wrong a couple of times. I had to tell the guy to pull out the chevy manual to find my motor mounts. LOL, that took a while. Just thought I'd ask before I went there to play the guessing game. Thanks Emmett/wheels.

Don't you buy no ugly truck!