Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front seal on auto trans, easily replaced or not?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, May 8, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My 97 has some trans fluid on the front of it, and what appears to be a very slow leak. The trans pan is beat up and the previous owner had the trans redone so I'm guessing the guy did a really crappy job. It drives fine but I don't know, I hate automatics, I just do. So anyway I think the front seal is leaking, easy replacement?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Once you remove the transmission from the vehicle and take the torque converter off, changing the seal is EASY. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Front seal?
    There is the seal for the torque converter.. those will leak like crazy.. sometimes when they get hotter will leak less because it expands... Screwdriver to pry the old one out, mallet to pound the new one in. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    The other 'leaky front seal' could be the o ring that goes around the front oil pump. Oil pumps are fun to try and remove sometimes.. in extreme cases a slide hammer is used. for the o ring, Lube it with tranny fluid when you install the oring. And if you do that one, you should change that other oil pump to case gasket at the same time because you'll be pulling the oil pump off the tranny, but make SURE you get ALL the holes lined up properly. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You'll be pulling the tcase/tranny back far enough to get the converter out... or with the engine out its easy to change.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Basically,,,,NO

simple enough answer, for a simple question.