Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front seals

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shooter, Aug 13, 2001.

1. shooter

shooter Registered Member

I have a 72 Jimmy, I am installing a new set of "U" joints on the axles that go to the hubs. I need a set of seals that go the the axles, then the axles go inside the spindle. NAPA gave me a set of seals that just look like wheel seals. Are these correct or did I recieve the wrong part???

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The kit that I got came with a neddle bearing, 2 rubber seals (w/o a steel shell just all rubber), a plastic thrust type washer, and a metal ring to make the kit work on 69-72 axles (with a 5-260x u-joint). If you have the 73- axle shafts then just don't use the steel ring.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

3. shooter

shooter Registered Member

Thanks for the response, How do I tell if I have 73,axle shafts? Also, Since I bought the Jimmy, I have had to change the front axle joints about 5 or six times and I don't do alot of 4wheeling. could it be that these are the wrong shafts for a 72? I bought the Jimmy in the mid 1980's, and it seems that whenever I check the front bearings the joints are rusted and worn out and they are supposed to be the seal type. Any help would be great.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I should have taken pictures of them when I had them both laying around. The newer axles had a larger flange on them for the seal. When you buy the kit (mine was a CR) you will see the difference. Try packing them with marine grease (it is waterproof) to make them last longer.

5. midnitlove

midnitlove Registered Member

I just put new axles in April, and I had a hell of a time trying to find those seals. I never found them. No Napa or Chevy dealer had them or junk yard or anywhere. I just greased everything up and the axles I bought seem to have a good enough covers/seals on them to work properly. It seems to work fine so far. I was told the same thing about changing your axles to 73 and up because parts are easier to find. Seems like a job to me.

<font color=red> AMIGOS SO. CAL </font color=red>

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

This might help the guy behind the counter find it. The part # on the box that I got is CR BK1 it came in a SKF box (CR's bearing brand). I think NAPA carries them but I got mine ftom pep girls