Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front seats for k5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by aknight_sa, Nov 24, 2005.

1. aknight_sa

aknight_sa 1/2 ton status

hi all,

i need to change the seets on my 1981 Jimmy, would new seats made by GM fit? or do i have to find something specific for this model.

thanks

2. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

If you're looking for something that bolts right in, then stay with trucks that have the same body style as yours. Most seats will fit with some fabrication of seat mounts, or buying seat mounts from aftermarket sources. The best advice is to find a seat that you like, then adapt it to your truck (build or buy a mount).

3. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I bolted in a pair of Buckets from a 2002 Silverado. Didn't require much fab work. Just had to make some brackets out of flat stock. The brackets bolted to the floor in the stock location and then to the stock 02 seat tracks. Took about an hour or so per side and that was with just hand tools and a cordless drill.

The silverado buckets did eleminate the flip forward ez-entry feature of the stockers, but the back folds forwards and it slides far enough to allow just as much access. I did get the added feature of the integral 3-point belts too. (my 75 only came with lap belts)

Here is a shot of mine after the install: (sorry for the darkness)
    [​IMG]

4. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

if you're cool with sticking with stock type seats, check the junk yards. i picked up to bucket seats in perfect condition for 20 bux each yesterday. just a thought.

colby

5. absolute

absolute Registered Member

Don't exclude S-10's! I put a great set in the K10 for $40 , they were in great condtion and the mounts were easy to build!

6. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Did you use the stock K5 brackets that mount to the floor and build a bracket off those for the Silverado seats or did you use the floor mount brackets from the Silvy seats and modify them to mount to the stock floor location? By the way, looks good! Thanks!

Kris

7. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You can't use the stock K5 bracketry. It would make the seats sit 5" over the console. The seat frame/tracks for the silverado seats are tall to start with. My original plan was to unbolt the silverado tracks and mount them to the stock K5 parts. One problem. Looking at the silverado seats, the tracks don't bolt to the frames, they were not coming off. I think it's because the integrated seat belts as the seat frames/tracks have to take the force of an impact with the seat belts. Not a big deal though, I unbolted the stock seats and set the silverado seat in place and the hieght was right on the money.

Really all I had to do was take some 1/4" flat stock (2"wide) and after taking some basic measurements, cut and drilled it to fit the stock seat mount holes in the floor and then the silverado tracks. I used grade 8 hardware to bolt it all together. I've had them in for over a year and been over a variety of trails and with my fat butt in them I've not had one problem.

The stock silverado tracks have a LOT of front to back travel. I can't use all the travel to the back because of the 75's lack of a rear footwell. Still it goes far enough back for me. 77 and later with Silverado seats would have another 2-3" of rear travel.

8. BlahBlah

BlahBlah Registered Member

Absolute can i see a pic of the mounts you made. I'm trying to stick some 300z seats in my K20, and I'm tryin to get some ideas on how to build the brackets for em.

9. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

i just installed racing seat from ebay in my truck. Not to bad to install, just put flat 1/4 steel over the old brackets, drilled into that, then bolted the seats to that. I still have the old seats but it says your in saudi arabia.... not sure how i'd get them to you

10. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Do you have a review for us on the ebay seats. Maybe a link to the auciton. Are they factory? I am looking into some JDM seats but not sure. I need something to use a harness with.

11. aknight_sa

do you have a pic of your old seats??

12. Janitorjim8

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Red-...ewItemQQcategoryZ33701QQitemZ8019641477QQrdZ1

thats the link for the seats, ingnore that they say for honda civic... I love the seats, look great, feel great. If you are very used to a regular seat the racing seat takes a bit of getting used to, when you are in it feels really nice actually. Not made for larger people, i am 180, 5'10'' so probably no more then like a 220 person. I do not have pics of either but can try to get them tommmorow

13. aknight_sa

height wont be a problem... i'm only 5'7"

it looks really nice.. what i need is something comfortable to sit on... the ones i have now are in a really bad shape

14. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

so is that 249 for 2??

if thats the case, screw the Tahoe take outs..

15. Janitorjim8

yea thats 249 for both of them, you may even be able to find them for a little less if you look around on the page. Not all that hard to make them work either/plenty of color choices

16. BillyTungsten

BillyTungsten Registered Member

They look nice, esp. at that price... but the ad does not mention the seating material. Cloth, vinyl, anyone know?

17. BillyTungsten

BillyTungsten Registered Member

TTT... I may buy a pair for Christmas, but not if they are cloth... anyone? Beuhler? Beuhler?