Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front shackle building Q's. opinions needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jones, Apr 29, 2007.

1. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

I've nearly finished building the front shackles. 3/8" plate,5 3/4" bolt hole-to-hole. The stock shackles are 5" hole-to-hole. I added the 3/4" length to keep the front spring eyes of my 6" lift springs off the frame like they were with the stock shackles.

My question is this:Should I use them as "simple shackle sides" or should I add the 1" solid rod and do it "cross-tied" style? I wouldn't think that x-tra 3/4" would require the cross pin,but...:dunno:

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Putting a cross pin in the center of a front shackle will most definitely contact the frame. More than likely you won't be able to install the shackle.

Your stock shackles should only be 4" center/center. Just an FYI. I've never seen a longer stock shackle than that. Were you measuring from the 1" mark on the tape? I've done that once or twice!

3. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

wait so u mean you dont use cross tie shackles in the front? like the one you all sell?

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

cross tied that we sell on the website are for use with our shackle flip.

We just did a prototype cross tied for the front for a customer. Quite a bit different than what you normally picture though. The way the front shackle goes on both sides of the frame, a center pin is hard to fit if not impossible.