Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Shackle bushings

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramses, Nov 24, 2005.

1. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

While im putting my new springs on this weekend im going to replace the front spring shackle bushings since theyre starting to pop and squeak and are original. Ive heard that theyre hard to replace and I just want to know if thats true or not. Anybody who has done this have any tips or advice?

2. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

you mean the bushings in the shackle hanger?

3. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

Yup, there a pain, but a very good idea to replace them. Some people burn out bushing with a torch, but that wouldn't be a very good idea in this case. What has worked best for me is ge about a 3/16 drill bit and drill between the sleeve and the bushing tube to remove as much rubber as possible, then drive the bugger out. Once it's out, clean up the hole as much as possible so that your new bushings slide in easier.

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

If your doing it on the truck, burning them out is a bad idea, once started it's nearly impossible to put out that burning rubber until it's all burned up.
    I've heard on some southern rigs not exposed to harsh winters (road salt, constant wetness etc), they come out easy, my rig was born and raised in michigan, they had to be burned out. I tried drilling all the rubber on one out first, still couldnet get the whole thing out.
    Hopefully yours will go easier!