Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front shackle extension

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TwoCrowsDesign, Aug 6, 2001.

1. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Well I haven't seen anyone with extended shackles, or a lowered shackle mount, up front to provide lift and that leaves me with the assumption that there is a really good reason for that fact.

Why is that? It seems that you could lower the shackle mount get the lift and keep the soft ride and flex of stock springs.

Perhaps a stupid question, but hey, I don't even play a suspension expert on TV!

John

John

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

ORD sells shackles that add about 1/2" - 3/4" lift to the front and there is another company by the name of HIll that makes them with 1" of lift...

I owuldn't go much bigger than that or you will have oinion angle isses and will probably get some side to side motion if you go too long.

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The main reasons are that when you lengthen the shackle, because the front spring mount is fixed, the spring rotates on an axis from the front mount. As shackle length increases it rotates the pinion toward the ground (causing more severe driveshaft angle and changes castor) as well as introduces greater side to side forces on the spring, hangers, and shackles which can cause instability. It you were to lower the front mount as much or more than the extension on the shackles, you would help alleviate the changes on driveshaft angles (but the lower you go the more natural angle which is bad) and keep castor in check, but I would not recommend this because of lateral forces and steering stress.

If you didn't build it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

4. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Another reason is, if you lower one end of the spring too much, without lowering the other end about the same, then the axle will be at a different angle, messing with your drive shaft angle and, more importantly, your alignment (castor angle, I think).

Good things come in small packages. Good things come to those who wait. So, if you're waiting for a small package, that must *really* be sweet.

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Do you mean to build the front spring mount down and the longer shackles to gain more lift with stock springs? I have thought about doing the same thing. I'll just move all my spring mounts down on the frame and all the body mounts up. But this is on another project for another day.

<font color=red>It's not what you drive, but what drives you</font color=red>( Or is it what you work on,lol)
    <font color=orange> 1955 willy's on a 1977 blazer chassis </font color=orange>

6. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

I made my own extended shackle to gain about 1.5 -2" of lift. I re enforce the shackles to prevent failure. I had to shim the front end to maintain driveshaft angles and prevent steering troubles. This also moved the axle forward a little making the wheelbase longer, a plus in my book. There was a big difference in side to side motion but that was taken care of by hooking the sway bar back up. The front end flexs like mad compared to before! My front shocks do however limit the travel of the front suspension within about an 1" but this keeps the driveshaft angle from getting too crazy. I have had this setup now for about 4 months and I can not complain, I have about 10" of lift not including this shackel setup so my truck did not ride like a caddy to start with, but I felt no negatives from doing this.
    Mike

You call that dirty!?