Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Shackle Frame Bushings for a 1-ton

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-ton, Jan 22, 2006.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I want to change the front shackle frame bushings on one of my 1-tons. The only problem is GM discontinued these bushings, and no other polyurethane bushing manufacture specifies a front shackle frame bushing for a 1-ton. I found a set of Energy Suspension bushings, I think fit it, but their help desk people cannot absolutely verify this. Without taking the front shackle frame bushing apart, I have no idea if I can get this job done or not. Anybody have any experience with 1-ton front shackle frame bushings?

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

its your lucky day. i just happen to have 2 1 ton trucks. and quess what. thay are all the same 1/2 3/4 1 ton. except the last few years went to bigger bolt size thats all. good luck hope this helps ya. and polly is better than the rubber.

try this out.http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/hdshackles.htm

3. 1-ton

That is pretty close to what the guy at energy susension said. The only problem is that the truck I am going to do this job on is one of the last years :doah:. It is a 1991 V3500. It appears to have a bushing housing riveted to the frame, with some kind of steel caps on the ends of the bushing housing, which are sandwiched in between the shackles.

4. sweetk30

all i have seen is the standard style. the 91 will be the bigger one in the bolt size .

5. 1-ton

Oh well, I will find some way of getting this done

6. sweetk30

if you can post a pic we might be able to help better. good luck. but if its leaf spring front then thay are the same from what i have seen.

easy swap. take weight from springs and remove bolt then bushing is exposed. pop out sleave and then rubbers. clean hole of rust and old ground up rubber. install new and lube them with grease to help install and re asemble front end and done.

7. 1-ton

I will try to get a picture. I was looking at my 1985 1-ton, it looks the same as my 91 except for the steel caps on the ends of the 91's bushing housing. My 85 just has the standard rubber sticking out from the ends of the bushing housing. I have the factory bolt that comes off of my 1991 frame, and it fits through an Energy Suspensions bushing and sleeve I bought for the 91 properly, but it is those steel caps on the ends of the bushing housing on my 1991 that gets me. I wonder if those steel caps are factory, or aftermarket.

8. sweetk30

i have never seen caps on the ends. ?:confused: me want pic so i can put pic in my head for futer use .:wink1: