Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front shackle - How long?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bajaviking, Jul 26, 2006.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

What is the longest frontshackle I can put on without screwing up the pinion angle too much. It is mosly a trail only vehicle but I still drive it to and from the trail so it has to have decent highway manners.

This is for my 82 K5 which currently has a 4 inch lift.

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

are you bottoming out on the frame or what is the reason to go to longer shackles in your case? If you need to go longer for some reason correct your pinion angle with a a new set of shims

3. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

After my rear shackleflip the rear sits slightly higher than the front and longer shackles seems like an easy way to gain a little height and flex.

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Zero rates would be your best bet to grab an inch. I wouldn't be too quick to shackle it up for an added inch of lift

Depending on your lift manufacturer and how long you have had the springs they may help you out with a new leaf to give you a little more. Skyjacker did this for me when I told them my truck sagged too much with my trail load in it. They had me weigh each axle and then sent me a new leaf to be inserted in my rear packs to level everything out.

5. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

Bump! I need help!

I need help.. I have 56's in the front with the rear hanger in the stock location with a 7.24 long shackle. My pro comp 4in lift spri ga have settled and now my spring hits the frame even flexing over speed bumps, in park there's about an inch between the spring and the frame.. What is the safest legnth I can go(longer front shackle) safely. It's my wheeler but is also street driven a lot. I was thinking about moving my hanger back to give the shackle less angle but a longer shackle will be easier.

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

A 6" shackle gives 1" lift over the stock shackle. IMO, that is still a reasonable length. If you go longer, they should be cross-tied, but that gets back to hitting the frame. As to how much pinion angle is too much, that depends on a lot of things. You should also be concerned with caster. With stock length front springs, every added inch of shackle gives 1.2 degrees of caster. If all the angles are good, the EZ-inch might be better. If the spring is hitting the frame, you could lengthen shackles and do spring shims at the same time.

Or don't worry about the back being higher. Build a bigger rear bumper or just start flexing the rear springs until they are the height you want.

7. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

I am more worried about lateral pressure on the shackle because its a daily driver.. I don't have a stock axle, or stock springs or stock legnth. They are 4in lift 56's up front with a Dana 60 and I already have it shimmed.. My steering is fine and another inch or two wont effect anything that much as far as steering goes. I'm more worried because I already have a 7.25 long shackle because of my 56's but now they have settled and even hit the frame when I make a fast stop.. My leaves are crazy soft, I just want to make a longer shackle to get my spring off the frame, not interested in moving the hanger back yet..

8. Blue85

You didn't say if the front of the spring has been relocated, but if the spring is hitting with a 7.25" shackle, it must be kicked pretty far back. In that case, each inch of shackle will change the pinion and caster by like 3/4 of a degree. If you don't want to move the shackle mount, what about moving the front mount (and axle) forward? This will stand the shackle up and add a little lift, along with changing the pinion angle.

9. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

I have the DIY b52 kit with multiple mounting holes, the spring is already at the furthest position and I dot really want the spring any farther forward.. It pretty much already hits me in the gut every time I walk by.. Lol

10. Blue85

Do a search. It doesn't seem like 56s would work right without moving the shackle mount, but mayble somebody has a solution.

11. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

I've had the 56's on it for a couple years, they just started hittin the frame a few months ago...

12. Stomis

Stomis Professional Amateur Premium Member

6in max. I wouldnt run 7.25s up front personally. Too much lateral movement in steering.

13. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

I thought the same thing years ago and put Hill4wd 6" shackles on the front if my suburban and picked up a death wobble because of it. Zero rates are the best method.