Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Shackle Q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GMC, Feb 28, 2004.

1. GMC

GMC 1/2 ton status

Front Shackle Q\'s

1. I have aftermarket shackle's on my front springs and was wondering if anyone could nail down how much lift they're adding? They measure about 7" bolt to bolt.

2. Also what would be the better option for ride, flex, and pinion angle? My 2" springs with my current shackle or going to 4" springs with a stock type shackle? Thanks.

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Re: Front Shackle Q\'s

stock shackles are too short for a lift spring in the front of a chev

go look at the 2 recent threads on this subject

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: Front Shackle Q\'s

[ QUOTE ]
    1. I have aftermarket shackle's on my front springs and was wondering if anyone could nail down how much lift they're adding? They measure about 7" bolt to bolt.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I recall correctly, stock shackles are 4" bolt-to-bolt, so, 7"-4"=3"...and, since it's only actually lifting your truck half that amount, you're getting 1.5" of lift up front, and a crappy pinion angle, I'm sure.

[ QUOTE ]
    2. Also what would be the better option for ride, flex, and pinion angle? My 2" springs with my current shackle or going to 4" springs with a stock type shackle? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

4" and stock shackle any day over the other choice as far as pinion angle is concerned. Personally, what I'd do is buy some 4" springs (they'll maybe ride a little stiffer, but that depends on what brand you're running now, and what brand of 4" you go with) then, take the shackles that are on the truck now and cut off the bottom 2 inches. Drill a new hole so that you now have about 5" bolt-to-bolt and run it like that.