Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front shackle questions..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, Feb 16, 2005.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Ok so here is my question(s)...
    how safe are shackle lifts (front shackles)?
    How high can you go?
    how thick of metal?

Ok I have seen that Jeepers can buy shackle lifts... up to 2 1/2" with 3/8 plate

so my truck rubs really bad... I bought 6" superlift front leafs to get my truck legally through inspection. Now the truck is through inspection and the door is at 32". I am allowed 34"... as that is what is on my paperwork

I have put on shackles 2" longer with 1/4" plate like the stockers... made the truck sit more level and not bad... however the 1/4" plate was a bad idea... they bend a little bit and the truck kinda shifted to the left. Now my father is going to make me new ones with 1/2" plate as he said that would not bend. However my truck is still not level. Can I safely go an extra 4" over stock to see ride height safely? with 1/2" plate that is... also what I am trying to do is figure out what size leafs I really need to be at my max ride height... so this will be a temporary solution... or will it????

so I may be able to go 10" front leafs... well they are not gonna ride nice and flex good.....

so am I better off keeping my 6" and 4" extra long shackles? I know yall are gonna say it is not safe... but it is not a front block, cannot shimmy loose... If the bolt falls out the leaf will rest on the frame and keep the front of the truck up...

I mainly only use the truck to get to the woods then wheel it.. as I have only wheeled it once in the short time it has been on the road.. due mainly to the weather...

so what do yall think? I ask because I have seen people put longer front leafs in and when they do that they put mega long shackles from the leaf to the frame hole. This allows mega flex...so people have done long shackles....

just lookin for pointers... and no bashing here... as I am a redneck and gonna booger rig it however I wanna so safe or not my choice to end up on the darwin awards!!!!

seriously lookin for peoples input and this isnt as bad as scary steering stuff that does drive down the road!!!

6" leafs only
    [​IMG]

bigger pic
    http://rootbreaker.no-ip.com/PROJECT_NJLEGAL/5_16_2004/frontWacker.jpg

with the 2" longer shackles for 8" front lift...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you use a giant lift shackle you will through your caster angle and pinion angle way out of whack. Also remember that a 4" extended shackle does not equal 4" of lift. It equal 2" of lift.

I honestly would be worried about a shackle 4" over stock being more trouble then it is worth. I would run a 2" extended shackles and a 1" zero rate add a leaf to gain 2" total lift up from. You will want to add a cross brace into the shackle to help limit side loading.

You can also use a zero rate add a leaf to move the front axle forward 1" or 1.5". This will help with the rub problem too.

If it still rubs cut the fenders more. Cut out the lower part of the inner fenderwell so the next place to rub the tires is the firewall.

Harley

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

aight I got the shackles on.. now my driveshaft is a tad too short... :wall
    1/2" plate steel total of 10.5" long.

my shocks are my limiting straps right now... I will eventually get the driveshaft lengthened.. or the one in the garage shortened... that will probably be cheaper.... and then put limiting straps in as I do not want any more flex due to driveshaft will bind then...

shackle and driveshaft pic - still have 3" splines in the short part of the shaft
    [​IMG]

driveway flex.. gotta go out maybe tommorrow and flex!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

bigger pics...

http://rootbreaker.no-ip.com/PROJECT_NJLEGAL/2_21_2005/shackles1.jpg
    http://rootbreaker.no-ip.com/PROJECT_NJLEGAL/2_21_2005/shackles2.jpg
    http://rootbreaker.no-ip.com/PROJECT_NJLEGAL/2_21_2005/shackles3.jpg

I am happy with it at this moment as I do not think 10" leafs will ride like my 6" nor flex the same....

does my caster and or driveshaft angle look bad? remember i mainly do mud so if I do flex like that then I will be going slow and easy...

4. metto

metto Registered Member

your shackle angle blows and making longer shackles will only make it worse. get zero rates and move your axle forward, ditch the longer shackles and cut the fenders.

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

:yikes: Be real careful when you take that out for the first test drive, I think you're in for a surprise. :yikes:

6. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

thats for sure i hate to see what the u-joint to yoke looks like on that front shaft. and i bet it will grenade itself right out from under the truck.

luke and that shackle angle is crappy

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

another "scary steering" setup??

Thats a scary way to gain 2 inches of clearance!--I'd at least weld a bar or angle iron across the shackles(so they look like an "H") to keep them from folding over sideways!--but its probably not going to drive very well,and you will probably have to go another route...best wishes on your "test ride"..:yikes: :tongue1:

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Why not lower the front hangers also? Thats what I did, longer shackles and dropped hangers. If you do run that shackle, weld a little tube to connect the two sides!