Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front shackle relocation question.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Jul 11, 2004.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

First of all, I searched using everything I could think of from "shackle angle" to "relocated front shackle" and came up with NO MATCHES!!!

I just installed my ORD shackles and new BDS 6" springs. My shackle is in the unloaded position meaning the bottom of it leans toward the front of the truck. I want to move my shackle up in the frame to set the correct angle, but since I just bought the ORD stuff I don't want to waste it. Has anybody used ORD shackles and moved their shackle mount foreward in the frame with good results? I'm a machinest so it would be easy for me to make my own custom shackle, I just don't have the time or enough 3/8" steel at the moment to make my own. I'd also appreciate some pictures of your custom front shackles so I have an idea of a GOOD angle compared to a bad one. Thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif (hopefully this post will show up in search for someone else someday /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif)

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Tim (84 Chevy K10) should be able to help you on this. I think he did his not too long ago.

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I've seen a few guys remove the rivets on the shackle hanger in the frame and then move it forward using the rear holes of the hanger in the front holes of the frame. Basically just moving it forward a couple inches and using the existing hole for location. Maybe they were only using one of the existing holes. I think most times people are having to use really long shackles. But then I've also heard of people using factory shackles with some success also.

4. TruckNutzDude

I've been staring at it for days wondering how to fix it without adding a mega long shackle or moving that end of the spring down more than it has to be. I've got some 2" extended shackles, but they have a bar welded in that would hit the frame under compression. I'd really like to stick with something simple and proven.

5. cybrfire

The only other thing I can think of is to build a hanger that sits on the bottom side of the frame rail. Problem their is your gona get a bunch of lift out of it. Somebody on this board ended up with like a 7" shackle or something and i guess I would consider that mega long. I guess you could stay with a shorter shackle and put a bumpstop in to keep it from bottoming out. How about and this might sound crazy but notching the frame for compression? I'm not saying just cut a chunk out but more building the bottom lip of the frame all over again with a hump in it? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

6. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    How about and this might sound crazy but notching the frame for compression? I'm not saying just cut a chunk out but more building the bottom lip of the frame all over again with a hump in it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like the "C's" mini-truckers use to lower their trucks in the back? I kind of like that idea but it's a lot of work for a shackle.

7. cybrfire

I guess I'm not familiar with anything minitruckers do so I've never seen the "c's" you refer to but I think we are on the same page. If done right I don't think the structual impact on the frame would be much at all. The only thing that would really change is the height of the channel right where the notch is. This would have the effect of being able to bend the frame in the vertical easier which sucks but you could beef it up a little to ensure that wouldn't happen.

8. TruckNutzDude

It's still a lot of work and would require me to box the frame in that area... not that I don't want to box it already. I'm just looking for something requiring a little less work since I have too many other projects at the moment.

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

10. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

3 times it was. The biggest problem I had was taking shots in the dark about how long the shackles should be before I actually busted out the tape measure and figured it out the right way. Coulda saved myself alot of time and effort by doing that the 1st time.

11. TruckNutzDude

Thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'm going to start working on the front shackle soon and the rear in a week or two. What size hole saw did you use for the frame? I don't have any so I'll need to buy one. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I used a 2"

13. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I used a Hypertherm PowerMAX 900 holesaw. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

http://community.webshots.com/user/tim84k10

Click on, "Got shackle angle"

As to the tape measure method, I'm glad you like it guys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I can flex my springs into negative arch without the spring eye hitting the frame. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif