Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front shackle reversal

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by RUSS84K5, Oct 5, 2001.

1. RUSS84K5

RUSS84K5 1/2 ton status

Jan 9, 2001
    Do you think a shackle reversal in the front of a K5 ( or any K truck) would work out ok.
    My thought is that when compressed the axle would move forward and not come in so close contact with the rear of the fender well. Alsow would this provide more presure/traction for the front tires as they make contact with a rock face? I Know this could result in a rougher ride and some times the shackle in the front could get hung up, but it seems that it could be done quite easily. Just fab a solid mount at the rear of the front spring and use a pair of stock rear shakles in the factory front mounts. It seems this could be a good fix for some situations.

Russ V
  2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Sep 15, 2000
    This puts us squarely in the middle of the old jeep "to reverse or not" argument. I personally like the shackle at the rear, I think it's less stress on the vehicle, and there's not doubt it rides better and handles better, and that's a biggie with me. I'm not sure about how much difference you would see in contact pressure for climbing since most lifts for GM's are pretty flat even up to 6" or so. When you're pushing on a rock, for the axle to go back with a rear mount shackle, or press into the face with more pressure with a front mount shackle, the arch in the spring is going to have flatten out. with a flat spring, it's already there. With a front mount shackle, you can also run into problems with the axle being pushed back and down, which is one of the things you run into with a leading link suspension like mine. It's easy for the axle to be pushed back and down like winching against huge rocks, etc.
    Steering would have to be a crossover type, i've seen one truck with a front mount shackle and stock GM style steering, and it doesn't work at all. Which if you think about it makes sense, the steering arc of motion and the suspension arc of motion wouldn't line up at all!
    You are right, it would be a little easier on the fenders, or with really big tires and a low lift it keeps the tires out of the floorboards. It also eliminates the need for a long slip front driveshaft. and it would be relatively easy to do. But I don't think it's a good idea.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

Sep 17, 2001
    also with it reversed you risk bending your main leaf if you ram somethinghard enuff and what not......

81 K10 GOODYEAR 35" MTRS
    TH350 NP 208
    O R D's axles
  4. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

Feb 2, 2001
    would be way easier to just push the front axle forward enough to alleviate the tire stuffing the cab problem.
    or if you want to go and fab a new suspension go 3 link where the tire doesnt push back. the stock shackle would be too short and the stock front hanger would put it way low. if you are going to do it bury the shackle hanger from the front pack into the frame up high and run a long shackle.
    nice to discuss but no way would i do it