Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front shackle template

Discussion in 'Vendor Forum' started by cybrfire, Aug 9, 2006.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

is this what you were looking for?

[​IMG]

The small hole is .25" so should work well for a pilot for the hole saw.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

oooo... me likey. Good for spring swaps. I have 52s now, but 56s are gonna go in soon. I'd like to have a mount that allowed me to use the factory bolt holes... but mount the bushing-holder part about an inch further back than stock. Trying to make sure the spring eyes stay off the frame. You should offer these up with a user-selectable bushing holder piece of DOM and the hole for it pre-cut. The edges of the holes I make with my hole saw always end up looking like crap... if I tried to cut the hole for the tube myself, I'm sure it would end up not being perfectly square. I could weld the thing on if it came with the parts ready to roll... :thinking:

j

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Interested, how much?

4. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I'm also intrested in this too. my shackle angle sucks and I don't want to go to 52" springs... and I suck with the messuring tape and I know I'll mess everything up lol... so yeah I want one.

5. cybrfire

6. jekbrown

cool... how thick is that material? How much for one with a piece of DOM for the bushing and a hole cut in the plate? :grin: I can add gusseting and stuff myself...

j

7. cybrfire

This is just 10ga. material meant more as a drill pattern. It was requested in another thread so I thought I'd do one up.

If your looking for an actual replacement hanger, that can be done.

8. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

what lenght shacke would u recomend, If I were to relocate my shacke using the stock 48" springs?

9. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

I prefer using the stock top hole instead of the bottom one. Give alil more shackle angle, the holes are so close together. But to each their own.

I used a 7.25" shackle after relocating my rear shackle mounts.

10. jekbrown

oh ok. Yeah, I want something a little beefier. I have 7.25" shackles and will be running 56s. I want to have a "military wrap" or "snail wrap" (whatever ya wanna call it) on my leafs. With the hanger in the stock location, I think I would be hitting the spring eye on the frame a lot. Just another inch would probably cure the problem. I'd add the inch in the front, but I want my approach angle.

At any rate, you could offer this as a standard 56" spring swap bracket. Just design it around the factory bolt holes, but move the bushing mount 1" further back. I was looking at this on my rig yesterday.. and at 1" you couldn't use the lower-rear-most bolt hole anymore... but thats all good, just have the bracket stick out a little further to the rear and I could drill the frame for that one hole. Trim the body mount a little and viola! 56s with no frame-bumping or approach-angle-robbing stuff going on. :thumb: I think it would work great and its really not that complicated of a part to make either. One piece of sheet with some holes in it, one piece of DOM big enough to fit a big spring bushing (9/16 bolts baby!) in it. Jig... weld weld weld... done. :) Definitely less work/material that a shackle flip or the B52 kit etc etc.

j

11. jekbrown

took another peek at my rig today. The factory body mount has a rivet about 1.5-2" further back than the lower/rear bushing holder hole is... some grinder action could get that part of the body mount out of the way, and that hole could be used for the spring hanger. Plate would be sort of parallelagram-shaped... I think it'd work great.

j

12. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Jek, wouldnt moving the mount towards the rear make the shackle slam into the body mount bracket??? I know people that did 52's and kept the stock shackle location with a 7.25" shackle hit the body mount bracket...

13. jekbrown

That is what your grinder is for. :grin:

The only area where it would be a concern is the lower-front corner of the body mount. Personally, I don't think it'd be a major issue to grind that rivet head off flush and radius the arch of the body mount to the point where the shackle would miss it. Of course, I'm going truggy, so they body mount is pretty much expendable. I'm keeping it... but 1 corner being ground off would be no biggie. :thumb:

j

14. jekbrown

I assume Kert's silence in this thread the last few days means he is feverishly working in the shop to get these done? :grin: :thumb:

j

15. cybrfire

Actually,:crazy: the last few days I've had just enough time to get on line and answer PM's and emails.

I'll get a bracket made up pretty soon. What are you doing for the front mount? Got b52's or the bracket side to side flop?

16. jekbrown

been a little busy eh? :grin:

I moved the little "L-bracket" from one side of the body mount to the other for my 52" spring swap. Front is pretty much a-ok. I may end up fabbing/buying a different mount up there because I don't need the body mount any more (truggy)... but I'm not going to move the mounting position at all because I don't want to lose even 1 degree of approach angle. With 42s I bet I'll have damn near 90 degree approach, which isn't bad on a leaf sprung rig with a winch. ;)

I'd really like to use the factory body mount rivet hole for the lower-rear bolt hole on the spring hanger bracket. IMO even with a fully bodied rig this hole is expendable. Those factory body mounts are plenty beefy, even if only 3 rivets were holding them on. I imagine if you really wanted to you could just make a new one, sorta like the B52 kit but for the rear hanger instead of the front... integrate the body mount and spring hanger into one unit. I don't need anything that bling though. I dunno.. I just want my shackle hanger an inch further back than stock. :)

j

17. cybrfire

I just did a b52 mount for mikeyd05's rig less the body mount. Pretty slick. Shouldn't be much to move the rear hanger back an inch. You planning to egg out the big center hole? or what were your thoughts there?

Don't you have me working on something else too?

18. jekbrown

I have some nice round "tabs"... little discs of steel really, from AA that I was going to use to fill the factory hole... and then just hole saw a new one. I don't want to compromise the frame in that area any more than I already have. lol!

yes, engine mounts. ;) I figure this way I can save on shipping. Rates are getting high enough on shipping as it is without having tons of seperate orders floating around all the time. :)

j

19. cybrfire

I hear ya there!!

20. jekbrown

bump... I'll just go ahead and keep nagging until the hanger and motor mounts are ready to ship. :grin:

j