Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Shackle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Jan 19, 2006.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just did a search but i didnt find the answers i was looking for. Right now i have about 8" of lift in the rear and i am using a 6" spring in the front with a 3/4" "zerorate" i made. I am looking to even it out a bit, I was going to make some HD front shackles for myself and make them about 3/4" longer than stock, is this to much? How badly does it effect my driveshaft angles/pinion angle?

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

You should be ok on the angles, and if it does affect them too much, you can always add a steel degree shim. I wouldn't worry about the driveshaft angle as much as the cast/camber(?) setting, because that's what makes it possible for you to drive straight. If you make the shackle too long without using a degree shim it may be hard to control. I made mine quite a bit longer than stock, and could tell a difference in the way it handled, but it was still driveable. Longer shackles are also cool because they can keep the spring from hitting the frame when the suspension compresses. You do know that 3/4" longer shackles will only give you 3/8" lift?

3. stockk5

ah hm good to know.. so for a 3/4" lift.. i would need to make the shackle like? 3" longer or so? The cast/camber ur talking about u mean it would tip my whole front axle downward as in the pinion more towards the ground which then messing up my steering? sry im not to familar w/ cast/camber terms.. still learning!

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

To get 3/4" of lift you would need shackles 1 1/2" long. The total lift is only half of the increase in shackle length. On the rear for a shackle flip, the spring eye moves down about 8" from where it was, giving about a 4" lift.

About the steering - Imagine you stand at the side of your truck looking at the front wheel. Imagine a line drawn from the upper ball joint to the lower ball joint. As you rotate the pinion down, this line will begin to tilt back (at the top). If you tilt it too far back the handling will suffer.

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

6. stockk5

alright awesome, thanks for the help

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

No problem. As far as making your shackles 3/4" longer, I don't think it will change things very much with the handling.

8. stockk5

hm yeah im trying to even out my truck, i think i might just end up getting some 8" springs because this truck is my DD, so i need it to handle on the road pretty well. I dont want to mess up the angles to much just to even out my truck the cheaper way. Its ride might be ruined because if i do make the new shackles it would be the 1.5" longer like you said for me to get the 3/4 extra lift. thanks for the tips again.

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Do your front springs already have a degree shim on them? If I remember correctly, I made my shackles about 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" longer than stock, and used no degree shim at all, and it handled ok. Another trick I did for a little more lift was add a piece of steel 3/8" thick and as wide as the spring and about 6" long to the bottom of the spring pack, just like it was another spring in the pack (with a longer centering pin holding it in with pack). It was similar in idea to a zero-rate, but only 3/8" thick. Since it's just like another leaf, I would think it would be safe to use with your zero-rate (others please comment here...). Just be sure you have enough extra threads on your u-bolts.