Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Shackles, how high can I go?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Russ1020, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Russ1020

Russ1020 Registered Member

I had a few broken leaves on my rear spring pack, so I found a set of 1-ton springs in great shape and put them on. This raised the rear of my truck about two or three inches more than the front and I would like to correct this by fabbing longer shackles, I know 4" shackles will give me 2" of lift, but my question is, is that too much of a shackle lift. I allready have new front 4" springs and a 3" body and everything is perfect, I dont eat up U-Joints and run 38s all day. I just want to level it out but stay stable. Any info will be great, feel free to e-mail, Russ

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The problem that you run into when installing longer shackles up front is that as the rear of the spring drops, the axle housing rotates. Go too far and you really screw up the front end alignment. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

DON'T DO IT!! That is what PO did to mine, and it cost me $$$$$$$$$$$$ to fix all the crap it tore up. I'd say your options are to either replace the rear springs you put in, or get new front springs. Not only will it tear stuff up in the front, but you WON'T be able to align it right, EVER! Also, the front end will feel like it is trying to endo on you as you drive down the road, and turninga corner with any kind of speed (I'm not talking high speed, just normal around town)...FORGET IT. Mine was hardly manageable on the road at all, not to mention the freeways, till I got that fixed. They "raised" the front by 2" as well using the exact same method you are wanting to do. BIG MISTAKE!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I'd say that's a pretty clear recommendation on front shackles! We build ours just a little longer than stock and they work well that way, minimum hassle, nice gains. Go to a new spring in one end or the other to get the height leveled, you're too far off for anything else.

5. Cliffy

Cliffy Registered Member

Have you considered removeing a leaf or two out of the rear pack. Don't 1-Ton packs have a [censored] load of leaves in them.

I put longer shackles on my scout with a GM 3/4T-D44. I'm hoping I don't have the problems most do. I lengthened mine 2 inches for a 1" lift.

6. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

How about using something similar to www.hill4wheel.com shackles for 1'' of lift and then using some zero rate add-a-leaves from www.offroaddesign.com for another 1'' of lift. That is 2'' more on the front and won't screw up your alignment much. I agree with pulling springs from the rear pack if the 2'' on the front isn't enough. Just my $.02

7. Russ1020

Russ1020 Registered Member

thanks a million, all the info was great. I am almost ready for the road again and this was one of the last bugs to work out. The links were great, I am going to get the 1" shackle extension and a 1" add a leaf if it still looks to low in the front. As for lowering the rear, I think I would be taking a step in the wrong direction. All the quality information I recieved is why I love this site so much. Thanks again, Russ <font color="red"> </font color>

8. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Well I'm glad those links helped you! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif