Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front shackles not right!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Tice, May 1, 2003.

1. Tice

Tice Registered Member

I searched the site but found nothing about this, so here it goes. The front shackles on my K-5 are not sitting striaght up and down. The lower part where the spring pack is bolted to is sitting in toward the inside of the rig. It's the same on both sides.One buddy of mine said my upper bushings are shot and another said it looks like my springs are twisted.My rig is a 79 K-5 with 6in. rancho springs with the bottom leaf removed in the front. Has anyone had this problem before? I do wheel it pretty hard so could it be possible to twist the spings out of"striaght"?If this has been covered before that I could not find a link would be cool. Thanks

Tice /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

...hmmmm.

I would say bushings. If it is your springs (doubt it) its gonna be a beotch.

Loosen things up a bit and have a look, maybe that wil give you (and us) some ideas.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah...lets pay like 80 bucks for some steel with some holes drilled in them. Yeah, that's what I'd do. Suuuure.....

Make your own. I made mine from 3/8 plate. I got the steel for free!!

5. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Excuse me, but not everyone has the ability like you or I to make their own parts. It's also not polite to down talk someones product especially when they are a big voice on this board.

Geesh..

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Excuse me, but not everyone has the ability like you or I to make their own parts. It's also not polite to down talk someones product especially when they are a big voice on this board.

Geesh..

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah! I agree! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Waxer, this should be a seperate post that i am about to start...
    but i have to agree with tim. 80 dollars is WAY high for some metal and polly bushings. i can make a set for 35 dollars to a persons door, easily. and all i got is a SMALL drill press and grinder. bushings are cheap, so is flat stock.

now, as for the post at hand, check your bushings, if they are bad, go with a energy suspension bushing. the ORD is using is a daystar, and has been known to fail at an impressivly FAST rate.

some thicker than stock shackles would be great, and maybe a bit longer. thats up to you. a few companies out there make them. i have some procomp 2 inch longer shackles, and they hurt my pinion angle, but i also am going to be running a degreed zero rate.
    grant

8. Waxer

It's not the fact that they might be priced high which is the point I was making. It was the manner at how he expressed it which seemed disrespectful.

Sure there are a ton of products out there that I could make at a fraction of the cost, but I'm not going to trash talk any of them and blirt out I can make my own.

9. Tice

Tice Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I was leaning toward the bushings, I have a new set that I bought a year ago.I'm going to replace them tommorow. I also noticed that my shackles are bent so I'm going to make some new one too. Thanks.

Tice /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

FYI for everyone if you just want the steel plate they are $8 a peice /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    I just got two plates in the mail (replacements for ones fedex lost when a box busted open)
    They are smooth, look good and have a zink (?) plating. These shackle plates from ORD could (and one day will) go through hell /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I thought they where a bit pricey too, untill I got a set in the mail (I won front and rears from a guy on ebay), but these things are huge and probley worth the money for the serious offroaders. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    It's not the fact that they might be priced high which is the point I was making. It was the manner at how he expressed it which seemed disrespectful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry bud, but I work in retail. If you have an overpriced product and a customer says that it's over priced, that's not disrespectful. That's simply a wake up call for you if too many people start making that.

I could, right now, manufacture and sell the same product out of my garage. I could charge twice as much for it. If you told me it was a rip off, I wouldn't feel bad about it. It's my business and I can run it however I want.

Last time I checked, this was ColoradoK5.com, I am a paying member, and my money goes to support the site. I'm here to share my thoughts on 4wd issues, and front spring shackles certainly are a 4wd issue.

Just because ORD has a forum on this site and the owner expresses his opinion here doesn't mean that I should be careful what I say about his products. That's a bunch of BS. I can say whatever I want about his product here in this public forum. If the site wasn't that way, it'd be worthless.

What would this site be like if every time someone bashed Detroit's EZ-Lockers, a moderator stepped in and deleted it? We all know that's a junk product and it'd be a waste of money to go buy one. We do know that other manufacturers make a similar product that is of better quality. That's what we tell the people, this is my experience, this is junk, this works, etc.

That's why we're here. I really don't care if you personally are offended by my opinion. If so, drink water, change your socks, and get some motrin for your hurts. Otherwise, I'll continue to voice my opinion, whether it's popular or not.

I have continually voiced compliments about products on this site too. I was one of the first people to buy the Echobit bolt on shackle flip kit and I'm very pleased. I've said that over and over...that was well worth the money. There are other products that I would push to people too.

The ORD "H.D." front shackles aren't one of them. There's nothing special about them at all. ORD makes some outstanding products otherwise, but I certainly wouldn't spend whatever the amount is that he charges for those shackles. My friend has them (he got them for free) so I've personally seen the product. I made my own out of thicker plate, they're stronger, and I painted them black because I wanted them to disappear.

12. Waxer

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah...lets pay like 80 bucks for some steel with some holes drilled in them. Yeah, that's what I'd do. Suuuure.....

[/ QUOTE ]

It's one thing to give feedback to a company about their products being overpriced. That is very acceptable. But to publically slam a product cause of price so that propable customers can see it is just plain disrespectful.

It's too bad that you can't see it. You can make it for cheaper? Well thats good. We applaud you.

You can manufacture and sell for cheaper you say? Well I don't know about anyone else, but with the lack of respect you show others here I'm certainly not going to be looking at any of your products should you come out with any.

Yes this is a public forum, but there are also things called courtesy and respect. You have an opinion? Fine... You want to express it? Fine.. But when that opinion can hurt someone elses business I feel that it should be kept to yourself. Share it with your friends, but don't speak publically like that about someone elses product.

Oh, and for the record. You don't only get "some steel with some holes drilled in them", you get the following..

[​IMG]

By the time you spend making the 4 pieces, drilling them, zinc coating them (or painting), obtaining the 4 bolts, drilling and cross drilling, obtaining the poly bushings, obtaining the sleeves, you have just spent more time and money putting together a package that is already there.

Most folks don't know where to obtain such items as it is.

My intentions are not to turn this into a battle between free speech and such, but to make it aware that I found that disrespectful. Hell, even "thatk30guy" agreed, so I know I'm not completely alone here. Anyways.. have a good day...

Steven

13. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Here's mine.... Front and rears!
    [​IMG]

The pics on their site do no justice to the size and strength of these. If you do the research and measurements and trial and error, you would probley price your alot higher for time spent! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

EDIT: Those are 2-legal size note pads by the way! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [But when that opinion can hurt someone elses business I feel that it should be kept to yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like the guy that had problems with his Raptor 700R4. He shouldn't have said anything though, so people could continue to buy his crap, so more people could get ripped off. I'll continue to voice my opinion, whether it's popular or not. ORD is doing pretty well, I doubt anything I say could hurt their business.

15. Waxer

[ QUOTE ]

Just like the guy that had problems with his Raptor 700R4. He shouldn't have said anything though, so people could continue to buy his crap, so more people could get ripped off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Find me one person who has gotten ripped off from ORD, with relation to that HD Shackle kit. Do that for us please. Save us from losing our money to crap products.

Stop comparing apples to oranges.

Anyways I'm done with it. Have a nice life....