Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front shackles.... tell me I'm an idiot please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jul 19, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Why is front shackles a bad idea? I mean shackles at the very front of the frame rails. Would make my SFA easier to do, but I know Jeepers and Ford guys convert away from this setup. As far as I know, it puts lots of stress on the springs and makes them more suceptable to bending.

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Well the way I see it is if you have a 6" shackle hanging straight down int he front and a rock hits it, it is either going to invert or bend the spring. I have hit my K5 spring hanger many times and I can only imagine what would happen if I had the shackle up there.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It also contributes to a rougher ride. When a tire hits an obstacle, it is deflected to the rear. A front shackle forces the axle to move forward instead. :eek1: A rear shackle lets the axle move in the direction that it is trying to go in the first place. ;)

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Thanks, needed a refresher in why its dumb :D Would be so easy though :haha: