Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Shackles

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Seventy4Blazer, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

what would happen if one ot bored and re-fabbed the front end to have the shackles in front of the front axle as apposed to behind it? would it not be better for the pinion angle? and for the pinon at flex? just wondering. i was thinking of doing it. mainly just because i can.
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

2. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Re: Front Shackles *DELETED*

Post deleted by four_by_ken

3. Seventy4Blazer

not on any chevy i have seen. they are behind the axle on the pinion side. on jeeps and internationals they are in front of the axle.

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

4. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I read wrong, hence the deleted post.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

5. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

I don't know of any benefits but quite a few companies make kits to move the shackles to back from the front on f350s and jeeps. Something about when the spring compresses it wants to move the axle forward thus the tires and is not smooth, but with the shackle in the back and the spring compresses it's smoother. There's an article in off-road installing a shackle reversal kit on a f350 mar02, I believe.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by JIMs70K25 on 01/11/02 04:30 PM.</FONT></P>

6. Seventy4Blazer

ok, good point. i can see how that would roughen up the ride a bit. but lets say this is a trail only rig. wouldnt it make the pinion angle better at any type of flex? full or half? up or down? it just seems the arc travels with the pinion that way not against it.
    Grant

7. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

All the big J**p guys end up moving there shackles to the rear for some reason. There is a reason shackles in the rear are better but I don't know it.

Chad
    '73 Blazer,383,400,Atlas II,D60/14 Bolt,traclok/detroit,39.5 Swamps <a target="_blank" href=http://members.aol.com/fileholder2meg/projblazer.html>Clicky</a>