Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front shaft question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Oddball, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Oddball

Oddball Registered Member

I broke my front shaft on my 77 k5... made a hole in the tranny bottom . ( welded and fixed. )

Now the question.

front shaft has 3 joints.. on in bottom and 2 up with the t-case.... between te 2 joints there is a "centerball" ?

Mine "centerball reciver " is bent.. .. I can make the shaft fit if I install new joints... can i do this ?

Will the joints hold it togheter ?

And yesterday I broke my rear shaft . God D**m.
    doing 75 miles on the higway... KABOOM. big noise. speedo going nuts at warp speed. lol....
    And a terrible noise under the truck...
    upper joint to the t-case broken...
    But only damaged was a big dent under the floor.. shaft ok.. just need to change the joint.. i was going to but the weather was so nice so i dropped the roof and went for a spin....

On the way home the towtruck explodes his front tire. LOL. so we had to get another rescue truck to ...

Oddball

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Damn! You may get some new vibes when you put that rear shaft back in. I have been told that the centering ball is required, but Jesse (drivelineman) could give you the real truth.

3. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Yes you can rebuild the front shaft. I've done a couple, The centering flang in mine was $50 from Napa (the needle bearings were gone)Just make sure the needle bearings stay seated properly in the centering flang. If you have a Harbor Frieght nearby I would really suggest buying the u-joint/ball joint/king pin press to save you time and frustration. If you change u-joints more then a couple times a year then it's in your best interest to pick one of these tools up for $40. Not to mention it makes a trail repair of a u-joint likity split.

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Thats the one, and its on sale for $30 this week if you go to the store.

6. Oddball

Oddball Registered Member

The rear shaft is back in with new u-joints. First time i ever did that.. still learning abouth my truck /forums/images/icons/smile.gif .
    AND no vibes.... i guess i was lucky as hell.

Have to take another trip to the shop and get a u-joint for the front. I am still not sure how i can fix that one.. cant see how the centering ball/housing can be changed..

7. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I haven't replaced the center ball yet but I think if you take the ujoints out the ball comes apart and can be replaced.

8. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Hmm it wasn't on sale Friday... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

I walked into the my local store... it was a MAD house!