Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Shafts-almost fixed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newyorkin, May 19, 2001.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Hey thanks for all the tips on my front driveshaft problem everyone.
    I just picked up a junkyard shaft that's in pretty good shape, except filthy, and the CV feels a little worn. Is there a test or any measurement I can take to figure out if the CV joint is worn out? It flops around a lot more than the old drive shaft. The old one is very stiff, doesn't really move around without some effort, but the movement is very smooth.
    Also, on the new shaft, I want to take the axle-end yoke off the shaft, and clean & grease the splines real good before I put it in the truck. I also want to put a boot over it, but can't do that with the shaft together.
    Is it supposed to just pop off? I can't get it to slide beyond a certain point, almost like there's a catch inside or something.

Any advice would be great. I'm not going to put it in the truck until I clean it up.

Also, I still have the old shaft and still want to figure out why it's stuck. I'm toying with the idea of bolting the CV end to the hitch on my heep, and the axle-end to the hitch on my K5, then having my brother drive the jeep away from the k5 to try and get the splines apart. Any opinions on this? Possible truck damage thoughts?
    Thanks in advance!!

P.S. I went for a junkyard shaft right now for budget. I hope to upgrade the axxles someday, and the shafts then too.

Ratch
    **Hmmm. Land or Mall? Land or Mall? Let's see. Lotsa SUV's around here... Let's build a mall.**<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by newyorkin on 05/19/01 03:49 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

From what I understand, the slip yoke should be able to slide right off the shaft once the o-ring/gasket is removed. The junkyard shaft and my original both would not come apart like this though. For my old shaft, I backed my k5 up to my heep, attached the yoke and the CV each to one reciever, got in the heep and try to pull it apart. My shaft was/is so badly fused, that even that did no good.

Ratch
    **<A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com>http://k5.8m.com</A> What more is there to life?**