Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front shims

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FatBoyBlazer, Mar 26, 2002.

1. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

any one put front shims in when you did a 4 inch lift??? i did and the outer part of my tire is getting bald

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

i didnt shim mine.....always think about it though.

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I put 4 degree shims in the front of mine, but I have 6" springs. I did it because I was getting a terrible vibration in 4x4 over about 20 MPH. The problem with shims is the front is you reduce your caster which can cause wandering at speed. Oh, I also have the ORD HD shackles that increased the pinion angle, so when I added the shims it put me at about 5 degree caster.

4. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

shoud i remove them?

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Why did you install them?
    Your tires could be wearing due to the lack of rotating them. It is a good idea to rotate every 5-7K miles. Also, have you checked your camber or toe? Camber should be close to 0 degress or just a little positive and toe should be 1/8" to 1/4" toe-in. I don't think that caster will lead to much tire wear, but I am not an alingment expert.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You need to be checking your toe adjustment, ball joints, and tie rod ends. Those will wear tires out not caster angle. Caster is just the fore and aft movement of the king pin inclination which will make the vehicle steering not return properly or make it hard to steer.