Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FRONT SHIMS

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by extremeblazer, Dec 13, 2000.

1. extremeblazer

extremeblazer 1/2 ton status

I HAVE A SIX INCH SPRING LIFT IN THE FRONT OF MY BLAZER THE NEW TUFF COUNTRY SPRINGS CAME WITH NO SHIMS. MY FRIENDS LIFT HAS SHIMS FROM ANOTHER COMPANY. WHAT IS THE NORMAL DEGREE SHIM USED IN A SIX INCH LIFT? I HAVE A TURBO350/205 COMBO SO IT MAKES MY SHAFT REALLY SHORT AND I JUST INSTALLED ORD SHACKLES IN THE FRONT AND THAT MAKES IT ANOTHER DEGREE OFF, SO WHAT TO DO. I PURCHASED RANCHO 2.5 DEGREE SHIMS FROM ORD TO CORRECT MY PROBLEM BUT THE HOLES IN THE CENTER OF THE SHIMS ARE HUGE. OTHER SHIMS THAT I HAVE USED, HAD THE SHIM INSTALLED USING THE SPRING CENTERING PIN BUT THESE HAVE SUCH A HUGE HOLE THAT THE PIN JUST SITS IN THE MIDDLE AND THE SHIM LOOKS LIKE IT COULD MOVE AROUND? SO WHAT TO DO?

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I just installed some new 6" springs from Superlift in the front after turning the old 4" ones in for warranty (they looked like they were sagging, and heck, I wanted it a little higher!) and they came with shims! I don't know exactly what degree they were, but it was bolted on to the spring pack like it should be. You might call Superlift and call them to see if they can tell you the exact shim degree they use. I also put on the ORD HD Shackles up front, and the shaft angle is near perfect! It pulled the slip yoke about 3/4" out, but still ok, I tested the suspension at max droop and it has plenty of length. Superlift's number is (800)551-4955, see what they say...

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

The only way to fix it correctly is to cut and turn the knuckles on the front to keep the right caster and still point the yoke towards the output on the transfer case. My six inch lift came with 3 degree shims front and rear from Superlift as well. The rear worked great, but using a shim in the front and running 35's by the time I got to 65 mph it was wandering all over the road. I removed the front shims and just live with the driveshaft angle until I can cut and turn. I have a 465/205 combo so I am even shorter than you. If I disconnect my sway bar and lift the front tire the CV joint does max out, but still operates. Be sure to grind down the stops on the CV or you will tear it apart.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

4. extremeblazer

just called superlift 6" lift springs come with 3 degree shims and a 12" lift has 6 degrees.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I got some of these "big hole" shims for my rear axle. I needed more length to my centering bolt anyway and there was still some extra thread, so here is what I did. I got two washers with an I.D. the same as my centering bolt and on O.D. the same size as the hole in the shim. Then I stacked those two washers under the head (pin) of the bolt and put the bolt back through the spring pack. This gave me the extra length I needed for the pin (becuase of the thickness of the shim) and prevented the shim from being able to move around. I hope that makes sense the way I explained it.

"If it aint broke...Make it work better!"

6. extremeblazer

thata what i did this morning to my shims, its good to know that great minds think alike