Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FRONT SLIP YOKE PLAY

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rh88k5, Nov 8, 2002.

1. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

Anyone know how much slop there should be in the front slip joint, I mean just rear of the grease fitting, where the front output shaft goes into the slip yoke, how much wobble should there be if I wee to grab it and shake?

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Theoretically 0, none, but you would be ok if it's under 1/16" up and down.
    Did you get it narrowed down yet to where the clunk is comming from?

3. Troopie's Tonka

Troopie's Tonka 1/2 ton status

while we are here, gotta question. Guy talked me out of getting a c/v shaft today. I'm gonna go with what I got till I break it, then go c/v. since i have switched rear axle from 10 bolt to 12 bolt, the yoke at the t-case sticks out about 2 inches. before it was all the way in. Is 2 inches ok? or do i need a longer shaft. thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

Have'nt narrowed it down yet, but trying to eliminate the obvious first. by the way "Iceman" there is no play at rear bushing that you mentioned. I did notice recent exhaust has loose hanger, I'll tighten that tomorrow.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

OK do you have a lift? and how much?
    With a lift, you don't want it to be all the way in because if you stuff the rear, like when you jump or you go a little too fast where there is a dip, you will crack the case.
    Now too much out is also not good.
    If I recall right, the slip yoke is a total of 6"-8"
    I would say 1/4 of it's length outside at rest is OK as long as there is enough length inside to keep it rigid and not wedge sideways.
    If it were me I would take it out and check.
    Also if you can, lift the truck as far as you can and let the axle droop, and see how much more it goes out. If at full droop you still have at least half of it inside you are OK, if not, you might have a problem, and you need to lengthen the driveshaft.

6. Troopie's Tonka

Troopie's Tonka 1/2 ton status