Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front speaker locations? pics?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by burban33, Feb 14, 2003.

1. burban33

burban33 Registered Member

I have a 89 burb with power everything. My problem is the front speaker location. I have build outs in the door(b/c of pwr windows) for a 6.5" compnent set and I absolutly HATE it. They are in the bottom of the door (the normal setup.) I am on my second build out. I hate them because they take a lot of abuse, make the speakers hard to hear because they fire at your feet, get dirty, get kicked, and basically just piss me off. I have a good amount of stereo equipment and everything looks great and is very sturdy for offroading except for the front speakers. Does anybody have pics of different front speaker locations, setups? Ideas on front speaker placement? I will not put kick panels in for the same reason. I was thinking about maybe a roll cage type setup. I am not trying to get incredible sound quality but I'm thinking anything is better than where they are. There is a good amount of power going to them and they just don't get loud enough. It takes a lot to drown out boggers and true duals with turndowns on the interstate. Everything else is perfect except for the front speakers and it drives me insane.
    Thanx for the help and sorry for the long post

2. burban33

burban33 Registered Member

anyone?
    does anybody have speakers in the front other than in the door?

3. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Mine are in the center of the dash, which is stock, but I have no idea how to get them out or anything like that.

4. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

Mine are in the corners of the dash(3 1/2", stock). I also put one of the 4X10's from the back in the middle of the dash. The holes are already there.
    How to remove dash.

5. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

I use the Q Forms kick panel pods. This is probably not the most ideal location, btu the sound awesome and, if you are careful, shouldn't get that damaged. Just have to let passengers know that it is there... almost blends right in... Now as soon as i can make some kind of plug for the power in the doors, i can run tube doors and still have the tunes!

6. Blazn88

Blazn88 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I have build outs in the door(b/c of pwr windows) for a 6.5" compnent set and I absolutly HATE it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have speakers pods (build outs) in the door of my '88 Jimmy and i love them. I have 2 per door. One with a 6.5" component set (on the bottom) and one with a 5 1/4" speaker (on the top). I haven't had any problems with them getting beatin up or damaged. I also have a 3 1/2" speaker in each corner of the dash. If you P.M. me I'll e-mail pics to you, 'cause I don't have a host set-up where I can post them here (yet)... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

How about under the carpet and IN the floor?

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

That's pretty slick looking Greg. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I have two concerns about a setup like that though.... Water collecting in the pod and dirt/dust building up on the speaker with no easy way to clean it.

I assume you would have a metal grill to protect the cone from feet.

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    That's pretty slick looking Greg. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I have two concerns about a setup like that though.... Water collecting in the pod and dirt/dust building up on the speaker with no easy way to clean it.

I assume you would have a metal grill to protect the cone from feet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seal the whole thing with Herculiner (or insert favorite other product here) and add one drainhole in the lowest corner.....no worse than the bottom of a truck door if you think about it.

Yes, a metal grille goes over that speaker, then use a non-backed carpet to allow the sound to come through easily. I personally chose a slightly "aggressive" sounding tweeter knowing that it might be mellowed slightly by this setup.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif