Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Cusm, Feb 25, 2000.

1. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

I need ideas for frotn speakers. I have an '82 and the electric window motor or regulator is right where speakers would go in the doors. I need a fairly inexpensive alternative, I no longer have the want/need for a $3000 system. Any ideas?

2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I put mine in the front kick panels. You have to cut the plastic and some sheetmetal but it works fine. Good luck!

Esteban[/b]

3. 1bad2

1bad2 Registered Member

I have an 88 that came with the 3.5" speakers in the dash. I replaced these with 3.5" Infinity's, which required no cutting or mods so it looks super clean and sounds great.
    Curtis

4. KGBLAZER83

KGBLAZER83 Registered Member

ok another idea, you can make some boxes small of course, and secure them right under your seats facing out. unless you are adjusting your seats a lot. my friend did this and they look and sound great i think he used pioneer 51/2 inch.

blaze on!!!!!

5. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

kick panels dude. simple to cut and then mount. looks and sounds fine.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy

6. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

Shaggy, Did you angle the speakers or just mount them flush?

7. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

kick panels are the choice location. no angle necassary. i also have infinity tweets in the door, in front of the power window controls. adds some highs, without alot of power.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

8. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I cut a 1/2 inch piece of ply wood out to fit the bottom part of of my door exactly then i used 2X2's to "box" in the front half and out another piece of 1/2inch ply wood cover it. I made an enclosure for my mids that did not cut the door or door panel at all. I used a jig saw to cut the rounded corners and a wood rasp to make things look good. I then carpeted the paned with some color matched carpeting ( you know that crap from wal mart ) and attached the home made panel to the door paned with 1/2 inch screws put it all back to gather. It was for midrange only, there was no midbass at all so 800 hz and up was good to go..

9. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

Hey 85Mouse, Do you have any pictures? I have toyed w/ an idea similar to this. Q-forms makes some plastic housings that do this, but they want $200 a pair. Which is probably more than I will pay for the speakers that would go in them.

10. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Im sorry I dont have any pictures...the q-form panels come gel coated I think so you have to paint them..and I dont like the idea of speakers in the kick panels personaly. Somthing else I did to install the door speakers was to use the carpeted bottom part of the door as a template and cut out a piece of 1/2 fiber board to match..I fit a 6 1/2 MB Quart woofer in it (you could prob install a 10" sub if you wanted!)..I had to trim the metal in the door a little bit, I used a dremel tool and zipped right thru it. I put on a baffel from crutchfield to protect the speaker from the elements, and I am not kidding it thumped!! This is when Rockford Fosgate was the COOLEST thing EVER and you could not buy the amps at wal mart like you can now, I had a punch 100 running the Quart separates and IT sounded unbelievable..Low bass down to 60 hz, I clipped 1 tweeter and that was the end of it all...All you need is a jig saw, carpet, and that areosol adhesive. I dont mean to go on and on but I was RIPPED OFF one time when I was just a wee lad, a local install shop did this same install on my 1st vehicle a 91 s-10. They charged me 80 for the panels, 75$ for the install and I supplied the speakers...This will cost 30-40$ at the most if you do it your self..let me know if there is any thing I can help you with

11. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

I have put 5 1/4" in the kick panels before and 6 1/2". WOW there is some serious steel to cut in there to. Q forms I think still makes panels that will fit. DOOR location is by far the best sound, some problems with imaging though, but they rock, unfortunately the motor is there for the windows ugh. Good luck