Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front spring bolt ?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by bluejeep, Jan 9, 2004.

1. bluejeep

bluejeep 1/2 ton status

Just purchased TCI front springs from ORD for my SAS in my '90 3/4 ton. The main spring eye takes a 9/16 bolt, and the shackle eye takes a 7/16 bolt. The 7/16 bolt is the part that concerns me. Is there an issue with having this small of a bolt in the shackle, or is there an upgraded bushing and sleeve that I could purchase to get this to 9/16. My Jeep used 1/2" bolts stock, and now it has 9/16. Thanks.

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I don't know what bushings you use in the SAS kit you have but we do have an upgrade for the straight axle trucks that takes that bolt up to 1/2" in the top and bottom of the shackle. We can't really go much bigger than that because bushing durability really goes down hill. You can use our spring end only, that shouldn't be a problem, I don't know about the shackle end but hopefully whoever set your kit up used a bigger bushing and bolt. The 1/2" bolts have proven to be pretty tough, we don't have many problems with them.

3. bluejeep

bluejeep 1/2 ton status

I'm building the brackets for the SAS myself. For the upper shackle pivot, I'll be using an 1 1/2" OD bushing with a sleeve for a 9/16 bolt. I'd ideally like to fasten the shackle to the spring with a 9/16 bolt for consistency, but if it will decrease the life of the bushing I may have to re-think that. I was just questioning the "tiny" 7/16 bolt because I haven't worked on solid axle Chevy's too much.