Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Spring hanger problems

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Robin, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

I was painting the frame on my 72 Blazer (springs off) when I noticed the passenger side front mount (which is a upside-down U shapped stamped extrusion that's riveted to the frame) was elongated vertically. The effect is that, that side sits lower because the bolt rides higher then stock.

I guess the first question, is what makes this happen?
    Has anyone ever fixed this kind of problem before?
    Does filling the warn part of the hole with weld stick make sense?
    Since it's a riveted piece, it seems like a real hassle to cut the rivets off my truck, then find another at a junk yard, and do the same, then bolt the replaced extrusion on...

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The hole may have elongated because the spring eye bolt may have been loose. Welding up the hole and drilling it back out sounds like a good fix to me.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. JMZ

JMZ Registered Member

I made some spring hangers for mine, they turned out really nice. But I would also say that welding and drilling new holes would be a good Idea.

4. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

Did that repair on my Willys. Weld it up, grind it flush and drill it. Works great.