Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front spring idea for my K10 custom made from front and rear leaf

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85scottsdale, Mar 9, 2005.

1. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

Alright, heres what I have done, I have a full set of 1/2ton springs to play around with, so I decided to try an idea I had, maybe somebody has already done it, and maybe it won't work well.

But heres what I did:

1. Disassemble stock 2 leaf 1/2 ton front spring pack
    2. toss out bottom leaf
    3. disassemble stock 4 leaf 1/2 ton rear spring
    4. toss out main rear leaf
    5. put 2 leafs from rear spring under front main leaf.

Heres some pics of what it looks like, maybe I need the last leaf also, but it will require cutting off the tabs.

Also, to fit the same size bolt through the pack you have to drill out the hole on the front main leaf a bit for the larger rear type bolt to fit through it.

custom.jpg

custom2.jpg

custom3.jpg

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

first off. What are you trying to accomplish? a small cheap front lift?... Looks like it could give you A couple inches....

3. 85scottsdale

Yeah, i'm looking for some more front lift.

What is needed to run 52" springs in front? Somebody told me I would get 4.5" in front from them? He told me all I had to do was swap the hangers around.

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

just saying "swap the hangers around" Makes it sound like you can do it after work in one night....

Depending on the tools you have access to Decides how much of a job its gonna be. All i had was a grinder and a drill. It was kind of a bitch, but they got the job done...

You have to swap the front hangers. But to get a good shackle angle you have to move the Shackle mount forward, Then you have to either find bushings that will replace your old front spring bushings, And fit in the eyes of your "new" rear springs that your using. Or you have to make some spacers. I made spacers cuz i have a dodge 60 in the front and i had to make the springs line up with the perches (dont buy a dodge 60 for the front just to save some bucks i regret it) and youll have to make some longer shackles, I used 7.25 from eye to eye, that seems to be what most people are doing...

most people have been getting approx. 4 inches from this swap.

im sure youve seen the threads on this swap.. Search a little on it, and all your questions will be answered

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

the easiest way to put 52" springs on the front of your truck would probably be to remove the front bumper and the front core support mount bolts, then remove the rivets from the front spring hanger/core support mount assemblies. swap them side for side, so that the hanger actually moves forward (about 4" IIRC) ideally, you would want to move the shackle mount at the rear of the spring forward on the frame, and run a 7.25" ctr to ctr shackle. since the springs are 4" longer, this forward movement will only move the front axle about 2" of forward, too much to compensate for with front to back steering, so you will be forced to convert to crossover at the same time (not a bad idea with all of the increased axle travel anyways). longer shocks are a must, and you will likely have to use Ford towers to mount them. then we get into front driveshaft issues... you'll need increased slip travel, and probably a better than stock CV. for your use, i would skip this one, unless you've got plans to go big in the future. from my conversations with you in the past, both about your use of the truck, and the parts deals you're working on now, that doesnt seem to be the case with you. as i mentioned in the other post, 4" EZ Rides and a shackle flip and you should be golden.

6. 85scottsdale

I think your right, 4" front springs would be the best way for me to go, I don't plan on going big with this truck and it won't be wheeled too often anyway, so I don't really need the benefits of 52" springs in the front.

Sounds like thats more work than I really need to do for my purpose, and end up costing me more money than I have to spend right now :D