Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Spring Idea

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Depdog, Aug 7, 2001.

1. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

O.k. folks, how about this. Anybody that has lifted his or her own rig or has taken a good look at the front supsension and its mounts has noticed this. The front spring mount is half attached to the body mount plate and the other half attached to a bracket directly behind it. If you remove that small bracket and just move the hanger to the 4 holes in the original body mount plate you can move you axle forward an inch or inch and a half. Put the little plate in front of the body mount and you get another inch to inch and a half.

This moves your shackles to a more forward position which is NOT good for ride or flex. What about having just a new MAIN leaf made for the springs so that it would keep your front shackles at their current angle. The rest of the spring pack should be fine with its current configuration as they would center on the spring mounting bolt and that would be centered in the new main leaf.

Does this make sense to anybody but me? Did I explain it right. What do you think. This would allow you to move your axle forward and give you room to mount bigger tires with less llift. As the tires seem to hit the floor pan or back of the fenders before anything else.

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</a>

2. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

Dep, GREAT IDEA. I saw that same concept on a rock buggy 1/2 chevy frame at the nationals here last year. The guy said that he order the leaf from National. I just wonder could you take a main rear and do that? I think i'll have to do some measuring tonight.

3. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Or you can have a spring shop make up a new main. Good idea Dep.

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jangelicchio>http://community.webshots.com/user/jangelicchio</a>

Lisle, Ontario, CANADA</font color=green>

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Being that I have a bent front spring already and have to buy new springs anyway, I have been thinking about this, I would go with Alcan or National and both of them can make custom leaves etc.. I don't know if a two inch or so longer spring would even be noticed though, maybe, maybe not, I dunno. Also, moving the spring brackets forward kind of put them in the way a little but you could always use those rock wheels to help them skid over stuff.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

5. Depdog

Yes, that is exactly what I mean, just have a new main leaf made with your same spring rate, just longer. Should still be able to use the rest of your spring pack no problems.

Depdog

<a target="_blank" href=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</a>

6. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I forgot who it was, but there was a post about this, with a few people that have done it, should be able to find it in a search.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

7. konajoe

konajoe 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Did that to my 68K20, It had short tapered front springs. Made some new front spring hanger brackets that allowed me to bolt on 73 &amp; up front springs, pushed the axle foward around 1.5" for more clearance at the back of the fender.

Joe
    79K10
    68K20

8. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Ok, forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I also thought about moving the axle an inch or so forward (which would be great), but wouldn't you need to do some mods to your steering? Especially if you have a crossover setup?? Maybe a shorter pitman arm or something, to keep the drag link in line with the Pass side steering arm??? Let me know if I'm way off here.
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

9. Depdog

Just eyeballing my steering and it looks like it would work just fine, Need to take some longer looks at it though.

I have a 77 so my springs are already as long as the 73, I am talking making it longer than that.

Depdog

10. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Ok, just from me envisioning this in my head. I guess if you move the axle forward 1 1/2" say, then when the wheels are pointing straight, your drag link will be angled abit. Like, the end that is on the steering arm will be up 1 1/2" and the end that is on the pitman arm will be at the normal position (back 1 1/2"). Yeah, I guess that would work......
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

There were a few people on here talking about using a rear 56" spring in the front and moving that small "L" shaped brackt in front of the body mount box allow the longer spring to mount.

i had a link to the discussion I was saving for later use, but it is not working for me...

Here is the link:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.pl?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=140859&amp;page=6&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5>http://www.coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.pl?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=140859&amp;page=6&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5</a>

this is a little similar to what you are talking about and may be a little easier than getting a new main leaf made. Although it would move the axle forward I belive if I remember the discussion correctly.

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

12. konajoe

konajoe 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I hear ya Depdog, in my case I was able to install the 73 &amp; up springs which are longer than my original 68's. It's sorta the same idea but using a longer custom springs on the 73 &amp; up frame.

Joe
    79K10
    68K20

13. Depdog

Yes, exactly. But to save some money, get just a new Main leaf made at your same spring rate and re use the rest of your spring pack. Or like others have said, possibly use the 56" rear springs on the front.

Depdog

14. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

i was going to use the 56" rear springs on the rear of my k5, but i heard these springs are found under 1ton pick-ups.
    if this is the case then wouldnt they be pretty damn stiff? (heavy pay loads)
    MTPockets

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/moneypit.shtml>http://coloradok5.com/moneypit.shtml</a>

15. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

I am wondering if you do move the axle forward, would you have to modify the crossmember for crossover steering? If you don't, then that sounds like a good idea.

Keep it simple!

16. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I've kinda have that on my Jimmy.
    I did it a bit differently, I decided to move the entire front spring hanger, L-bracket, and body mount forward as an assembly. Then used stock 52" rear spring in the front. This moved the axle about an inch forward. The rear shackle is 6" long (just long enuff to clear the frame) and is in the stock location, the shackle is angled back at 20 degs at ride height *the way it should be*. This seams to be a soft and flexible set-up, but lots of work and measureing. It STILL hasn't made it out of my garage yet, but getting closer.[​IMG]

Steering;
    The stock drag-link is TOO short as is, if someone was to move the axle forward and just tighten up the sleave to compensate, the bump steer would be horrible, and when fully twizted out, turning radius is greatly reduced.
    With my set up, I moved the steering gear forward and tilted it, to give me a longer drag-link and less bump steer. But I think cross over steering would be an excelent addition.

I don't think moveing the lower hanger forward to the four holes on the body mount is going to work because the hanger and the body mount are not flat, they have a slight curve to them. I know BlueBeast (jason) moved the L-bracket to the front of the body mount and moved the hanger all the way forward and used the 52" springs. I think this ended up moveing the axle 2 or 3" foward.

<font color=green>Twiztid</font color=green>