Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Spring length

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Nicks 72, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Nicks 72

Nicks 72 Registered Member

I have a 72 blazer and am going to order a six inch lift. I noticed that the front spring length is about 44inches compared to the 73 to 87 is which is about 47 inches.My question is that I was wondering if that 3 inch difference is a big deal in ride quality or offroad travel. I could somewhat easily move the spring mounts to accept the 73 to 87 spring but dont know if its worth all the hacking on my otherwise nice frame.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I assume the mount you're talking about moving is the FRONT mount?

I suppose that might work OK, but I'd be sure I knew where the springpin was located on those new springs you're installing....If that axle ends up any further forward than about 1" it starts to create a whole "truckload" of problems with steering, and fender interference (probably core support too depending on tire size!)

I had a set of 4" lift springs custom made for mine at 45" and with a longer rear shackle from ORD, they worked great. I'm assuming you are looking at the late model springs due to lack of a 6" spring for the 1st Gens??

3. Nicks 72

Nicks 72 Registered Member

I was always under the understanding that a longer spring was better for ride and travel. And the second gen springs are usu cheaper and I thought if their longer and cheaper maybe that made since to use those instead. But on the other hand it has to make since functionally or its not worth the effort.