Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front spring length?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Feb 28, 2003.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

What is the length of the front springs on a 73-91 K5 and is the center pin offset at all? Sorry, I am at work and I do not have the time to do a search.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

47" long...center pin is centered at 23.5".

Rene

3. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I'm not trying to create confusion /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, but I am quite sure that they are 49'' with the pin at 24 1/2'' (centered) /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif and first gens are the ones with 47''s.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

47"

the first gen's were 46"

my fronts are 57" /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. tRustyK5

I'm not confused at all...I'm 100% certain they are as I described. 47" long with the center pin at 23.5"/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

6. Blazinaire

I measured 47'' eye to eye (in a straight line) and 49 1/2'' eye to eye along the main today. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I thought that when you measure springs that you are supposed to follow the arch of the spring /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. On that same note my stock rear springs (off of the truck) measured 50 1/2'' ItoI straight line and 54 1/2'' ItoI along the main /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Where the heck does the 52'' measurement come from?

7. tRustyK5

Along the arch of the spring from the center of the front eye to the center of the rear eye is the way they are measured. 47" spot on, and 57" spot on for my rears. The old rear springs in the backyard measure exactly 52"...

Rene

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Wouldn't the length of the spring measured along the arch change as you got into different amounts of lift on the spring? Measuring straight across from eye to eye (not following arch) should be pretty close to the same no matter how much lift there is. I know that isn't the correct way to measure them but to get an idea if they will mount in the correct spots on the frame rail you have to at least check that dimension? I'm going at this from a standpoint of crawling through a JY and finding a set.

9. tRustyK5

I would think once you get over 8" of lift the spring may be made longer than stock (at least it should be...)

I doubt you'll find a lift spring over 4" in a JY though...and my 4" Rancho's are 'stock' length. It's best to measure along the arch anyways, and it's easy to do with a tape measure. If I had measured straight across from eye to eye on my 57" ford springs I would have seen 51.5" because the free arch on those springs is huge...

Rene

10. Blazinaire

My rear springs measured dead on at 57'' too, my front springs are 6'' TC's and I guess that they are longer than average jo lift springs being that they are the only ones that I have seen that put the shackle straight up and down instead of pointing forward /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.I think what plagues most front lift springs is the fact that they keep the length of the main the same as stock even with the added arch thus moving the rear spring eye forward. BTW Rene, aren't you using stock 52'' rears on the front of your /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif or do I have you confused with someone else /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif? I know that Twiz is running them but he used 4'' lift 52''s and removed leafs /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. I am looking for some info on frame to axle tube height and shackle length /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

11. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

worn out spring would be longer though right?

12. tRustyK5

I just picked up a set of 52's for the front...haven't put em in yet so I still have the old Rancho's. I'm in no hurry to get the 52's up front anyways...I don't have crossover steering and I know I need to hack more sheetmetal. The Rancho's are actually saving me work right now/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Your lift springs prolly are longer. Most 6" springs I've seen have the shackle at a horrible angle...

Rene

13. tRustyK5

The length of the main leaf doesn't change, only the amount of loaded arch.

Rene

14. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I just measured my ez-rides and they are 47" long and 23.5x23.5 from the center.