Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front spring shackle bushings>>>

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fordslayer383, May 9, 2005.

my bushings are shot on one side in the front , do i have to take off the spring or can i installl new bushings with out removing the spring???????

1. primr87

primr87 Registered Member

U can change them one at a time w/o taking the spring off the vehicle. put the frame up on jackstands with the front tires off the ground. use a floor jack to lower the front spring down (with it still bolted to axel). Just take the front hanger bolt out lower it down to replace the bushing, raise it back up slide the hanger bolt back in and repeat the same steps on the shackle end of the spring.

2. thanks but i have to support the axel to take out the shackle bolts right
    then i can lower it
    also i shouldent need a press to install the bushings???

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I left my tires on , and since they were replaced at some other point it was easy .

One side at a time .

Started out by loosening the bolts and removing nuts , leaving bolts in for safety , then I just used a jack on the transfercase crossmember , lifted the frame up until there was no tension on anything and removed the bolts . I sat the truck back down with spring on frame while I replaced the bushings in the frame mounts for safetys sake . Then put top bolt and shackles through loosely , jacked it back up until I could get the bottom bolt in , then dropped it and tightened em up .

Redneck but easy , and I didn't get hurt as the truck was lifted ONLY during bolt pull out and push in .

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Being from canada, I don't think those things are coming out too easily. I'm from michigan, there was no way they would have come out without taking off the spring. I had to torch them out. Talking with a spring shop here in MI, that's what they do on 90% of thier jobs. On old buddies impala that was from Arizona, they poped right out, but these northerner vehicles exposed to salt and the like, they just don't want to move.

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well, I don't see why you couldn't torch them while mounted on the vehicle. There's no reason to remove the springs. That would be just more wear and tear on your u-bolts.

Another less messy and carcinogenic way to do it is to drill holes into the bushings until there's pratically no material left, then work it out.

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i've got a brand new set of Daystars sitting here, still in the package, and im dont have anything that needs them at the moment. interested? PM me.

7. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

Just be careful or this coulb be you!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

[​IMG]

8. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Have you ever seen rubber burn? It's pretty nasty, it's hot, and you can't put it out easily. That flame will spread up and around, and probably not catch anything, but...hey..call me a saftey nut, no unpredicatable fires under my truck thank you......

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

just take the spring off, it ain't hard and there is less risk of bodily/vehicular harm.

j

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

This works...

Its a toss up--taking the spring off takes time,might waste the U-bolts,etc--you CAN change bushings on the vehicle--getting the bolts out of the bushings has been my biggest challenge,especially if your lacking a good cutting torch!--one method I've used with good success is to take the nut off the bolt,then if the bolt wont come out easy,grind the head of the bolt off with a grinder,or a sawsall,then stack some washers on the nut side and tighten the nut(make sure you have at least 3-4 threads into to nut so it wont strip the threads!)--as you tighten the nut,it will suck the "headless" bolt thru the bushing!--once it pulls in even slightly,they usually come right out,after the rust bond gets broken--this works best with an impact..

To remove and install bushings,two sockets or peices of pipe the right size along with a peice of threaded rod works in most cases-(similar to removing a U-joint-one big socket,one smaller)-but sometimes complete destruction of the old bushing is the only method to get them out--pressing them in this way usually works good,just lube the outer steel sleeve with grease or oil before pressing them in..

.I've done them without pulling the springs,the frontmost bushing on the front springs are the worst!-(many trucks had the "EYE" of the spring openned up and the bushings just flopped around,and needed new main leafs!)-the shackle end never seems to have seized bolts,those 7/16 bolts dont seem to rust up as badly as the bigger bolts on the other end,or on the rear springs!--(and I've NEVER understood how those 7/16 bolts hold the weight of the whole truck,winch,plow,etc,without snapping right off! :screwy: :crazy: