Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front springs riding on the frame

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Toledo, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

I bought my truck set up for mud bogging and the front springs were sitting on the frame at the rear shackle. They are about 6 inches lift. 3 things that may have caused this seem to be 1. wrong springs for truck 2. added weight on front end like BBC and large steel bumper 3. truck originally was not 4x4 and was set up wrong. The springs that were on it are shot now from a wreck so now I need new ones anyways. So my question is how do I tell if it was set up wrong? Do I have to worry about getting a spring like tuff country that may be flexy and soft but end up not supporting the weight as a result and have the same problem. Do yall have any way for me to tell if it was originally a 2wd?

2. Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson Registered Member

Can't you just put on longer shackles?

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

www.offroaddesign.com sells shackles that are slightly longer and solve the problem. Not enough to screw up camber really.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I think springs can do that from sagging too. I know a guy who bought a K10 pickup that had taken a hard slam (downward) on the front end. His trucks front end used to sit alot higher, but it sagged and his springs almost touched the frame at the rear shackle.

Could have been a 8" lift spring that sagged possibly, or they might have been to long.

5. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

I am making shackles that will be a little longer also but Im not sure if they will solve the problem. Im just worried about spending money on new springs and having the same problem especially since I am going for more flex this time.

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The bumper could easily be the problem if it's a huge homemade piece but the fact that it may have originally been 2wd is most likely the real problem. 2wd's can be converted without any problems but we all know that not everybody does the same quality of work.

To figure out the frame pics would be best. Try this, take a look at the upper mount of the rear spring hanger. On an OE 4wd this mount basically looks like a piece of tubing with ears that is rivoted in the middle of the vertical section of the frame rail. If this bracket is either different or bolted to the frame this is a good indication that something is up. Normally there would not be any need to modify or remove this mount from the frame so bolts could be an indicator of a former 2wd.

If it was 2wd you'll probably find that some or all of the spring mounts are not positioned correctly.

7. hoosierk3500

hoosierk3500 Registered Member

Unless I did'nt understand your post,I would look at the shackle bushings in the frame.I owned a 77k10 a few yrs. back,and the eyes of the front springs were rubbing the bottom of the frame,until I replaced those bushings.Hope this helps.Jason84k3500 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif85k2500 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

8. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

check your vin it should tell weather its a 4x4 or not.. and on the springs rubbing the frame thats going to be you front rear spring hanger its worn out along with the spring bushings that are in the springs and spring hanger.. 4x4s chevys with lots of miles have this problem you can buy new ones pretty cheap and replace them they are held on by 4 rivets to the frame . just cut them loose and bolt on the new spring hanger

9. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Unless I did'nt understand your post,I would look at the shackle bushings in the frame.I owned a 77k10 a few yrs. back,and the eyes of the front springs were rubbing the bottom of the frame,until I replaced those bushings.Hope this helps.Jason84k3500 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif85k2500 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] My thoughts exactly /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

sounds like they are either too long, like maybe rears /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif or they are FLAT /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif hence making the shackle ride too far back against the frame /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

thanks guys. the truck is in a different town but as soon as I get to it I will look at the bushings and other things.