Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front springs sagging below axle...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, Apr 13, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I was told that front stock springs are actually supposed to ride this low... and my ride height has not been affected, but it sure is a rough ride with no spring tension in the front. Should I pick up a set of rear springs from the junk yard this weekend and put them up front, or should I just wait until I have the money to buy the tough country 4 inch springs so I'm not ruining my ride even more?

Also, should I get just the spring packs and buy the gabriel/monroe Auto Zone shocks if I go with the TCs or should I get the whole kit with Rancho shocks?

I'm going to end up getting the TC rear springs as well, but the front will be done first I think.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the 52" spring swap is a good way to get 4" cheap and to add a good amount of flex. The swap will force you to make several upgrades though, brake lines, shock length, driveshaft length etc will all have to be lengthened/adjusted to work. Steering linkages will have to be adjusted to, since that swap moves your front axle forward 2" (if you do the swap the way most ck5'ers do).

52s should make your front suspension nice and soft... shouldn't "ruin" anything. They will increase body-roll when cornering however.

RS5000s are crap... RS9000s are overpriced (my opinion). Either go with elcheapo gabriels or step up to monotubes if you want to spend the $.

why? shackle flips give ya all the lift ya need... cheaper too.

j

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yes, they do ride that low.

If you're looking for a bolt in spring swap, don't go with the rear springs up front. If you don't mind some modifications, then go for it. Otherwise check into BDS springs before you buy. The best warranty & ride on the market IMO. They are a few $$ more than other brands, but WELL worth it IMO.

If you want to lift the rear of your rig, the best ride will come from a new set of rear springs and a shackle flip. If it still sags a bit low, throw in a 1" zero-rate.

For shocks, the best riding shocks for a lifted rig on a low buck budget are the old style foam cell shocks. They're cheap, and will blow out if wheel it very hard, but they will get you on the road with minimal $$ invested.

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Dang J! Talk about being on the same wave length! :grin:

5. PhoenixZorn

I'm just worried about the quality of the ride on paved roads... My springs are super stiff in the back, and I feel every crack in the road as if it is a sinkhole in California... I had planned on a shackle flip, I'm just not sure if I will enjoy the ride.

Besides that, my springs are 20 years old... so just doing the shackle flip seems like it would stress them beyond their limits.

Yeah, the shocks I have on it now are foam cell shocks, and they are worn the hell out. I want to put some better shocks on it, that's why I mentioned the AutoZone deal... everyone here seems to think they are about the same quality as Rancho 9000s, but cost a hell of a lot less.

6. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I wouldn't worry about the rear riding stiff after a shackle flip. Mine softened right up after my flip and I used the stock 30 year old springs. I did remove the second to the bottom leaf on each pack because one side was broke. I did leave the overload in though. The rear of mine rides smooooth over bumps. Just soaks them up.

7. PhoenixZorn

What do I need to replace or modify for 52" front spring swap? Need all the gory details or a link please.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Most likely there is a lot of rust between the leaves, especially there in salt country. I swapped out the old, crusty stock leaves from the rear of my '75 K5 for a set from an '88. The newer set had the plastic sliders at the end of each leaf and I also took the spring packs apart, then sanded and painted each leaf before putting them back together. The ride difference with leaves that are actually able to slide past each other was nothing less than astounding! :cool1:

9. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Good advice... I'm gonna give this a shot on my 3/4 ton as the thing rides like a brick...

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

budget and 52s should never be used in the same sentence when talking about front suspension. sure the springs are cheap, but the upgrades to run the springs arent anywhere near cheap.

11. PhoenixZorn

I didn't say budget... I said I'm broke. =)

What are all the parts I need to do the whole job??

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the ultimate 52" spring write up is coming... i promise. Probably 1 more week...

j

13. PhoenixZorn

Git-er-done

14. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Hurry up already... I'm waiting on you to buy my parts! ;) :whistle: :hack: :grind: :weld: :ears:

15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

crossover steering, modified/new front driveshaft, new shocks and shock mounts. maybe some sort of limiting devices (straps and/or bumpstops)