Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front springs

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 71 Blazer, Feb 17, 2006.

1. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

I'm am in the process of doing a 4" suspension lift on a 71 blazer. I have the back done and when I measured the front vs the back I have a 5.5" difference, but when I looked at my front springs they are not flat or curved down, but curved up about 2". Is this normal or are they just beat. The front springs have only 2 leaves. If they are not at the stock height I need to know so I can compensate when I order my front lift springs.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  2. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    They were designed to basically be flat or with very little arch. Mine were like yours before I replaced. They had a negative arch to them. I would definately go with more lift in back than in front. I went with 1 inch extra and now I wish I would have done 2" I may do a zero rate for an extra inch later. It will depend on if my front springs sag any once I start flexing them.

I have 6" Tuff country up front and 4 inch ORD shackle flip with 3 inch tuff country in back all ordered thru ORD, along with heavy duty greaseable shackles and lots of other goodies.

3. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

that makes sense. So far I have 95 k5 springs and the ord shackel flip and was wondering why I got almost 6" of lift when I was suppossed to get 4" thought I was lucky. I was going to go with skyjacker or superlift. They seem to have the next softest spring rate as tuff country. I have found that tuff country springs are so soft because they are made of thinner metal and don't last as long.

4. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

What about BDS? I heard they have a soft spring rate. I don't have to put more lift in the front than the back, I already know where the back is I just need the front to be at the same height. If my front is sagging 2" Over stock then I need a 4" lift.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Thinner leaves doesn't mean weaker....

The only thing that will break a spring or cause it to sag is if it is overextended beyond "elastic limit". Like when you stuff the tire so hard that the spring goes inverted without a bumpstop to limit it's travel.

The only way to make a spring soft, is to make it longer, narrower or use thinner leaves. Since the length and width of a sping are usually "non negotiable" dimensions.....using a lot more THIN leaves is the only option.

As an example, my front springs use NINE leaves and flex like mad. :usaflag:

6. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

9 leaves! Who made them, and are they stock length, stock dimensions? Do you remember what they cost? And of course do you have pics? I am very close to doing a 52 swap on the front of my 71 but just don't want to cut up a good blazer.

7. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yes, nine separate/thin leaves.
    Alcan makes the multi/thin spring paks.

dcp_3919flexed.jpg