Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front springs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by greeneggsnham, Feb 5, 2003.

1. greeneggsnham

greeneggsnham Newbie

this is my first post, so howdy, i'm from Texas. i spent a few summers of my youth in the durango area, and lived up in north park, west of ft. collins a few years ago. i'll be buying in the durango area again within the next year if all goes well. my question is in regards to the front springs. i know my 84 jimmy's history from day one. it has been owned and used hard by a number of good ol country boys. i'm going to install the shackle deal on my rear end to give it the four inch lift. on the front end, i am considering using the five spring replacement from jc whitney. my jimmy only has the two spring set on the front now. i have a five spring set on the front of my cj5, so i think the ride would be comparable. does anyone have any practical experience with this set up? i don't want to buy a lift kit because i won't use the blocks, etc. anyone know where i can buy the front springs only if this doesn't sound like the right direction? thanks for your help. ge&h /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Check out www.offroaddesign.com - they offer the Tuff Country spring packs - 2", 4", or 6" of lift - and they come with bushings. Pretty much just what you're looking for. These springs are TOP quality. Personally - I wouldn't go for a JC Whitney special. I know they sell Rough Country stuff, but I don't know about the springs you mentioned.

You may want to look into getting a full 4" lift anyway. Because, no matter what route you take, you'll need new shocks and a raised steering arm. So, if you were to look at the price of the 4" Rough Country lift at $295, and then add up the prices for shocks, steering arm, and springs, you'll see why I brought up this option.
    Good luck with whatever you choose, and welcome aboard.
    If you'd be so kind as to fill out your profile (go to my home, then the first "edit" selection) that would be great. I know there are a lot of helpful guys down in Texas on this board, maybe even one of your neighbors. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. greeneggsnham

greeneggsnham Newbie

that actually does sound like the most viable option. i browsed this site for two weeks before i registered and posted. i filled in my profile as well. thanks for the tips. i should have the 350 vortec in the jimmy by the end of the weekend. she has 31's on her right now. see you on the trail. genh /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif oh, one of the guys on our hunting club keeps his 79 jimmy on our ranch. it's lifted six inches and wears 36's. it's called the "honker". i haven't named my jimmy yet. i'm considering "hemisphere dancer" as i'm partial to jimmy buffet