Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front springs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tom1987, Aug 24, 2003.

1. tom1987

tom1987 Registered Member

I have an 1987 suburban that I bought a 4inch lift for from a tractor traller depo, but they are shorter then the stock leaf springs by about an inch or two so the shackle is sitting forward on a 45 degree angle, but they is no engine trany or transefer case in it right now so it is not full weighed. So the question is will this be a problem when the suspension moves or not thanx for the help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Doesn't sound right to me. Are you sure they are the correct part for your truck?

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Beaterchevy on ORC (RIP sniff sniff) had the same problem with custom springs on a bare frame and axles setup, the conclusion was that the weight would casue it to even out to normal or near normal position

Hope that healps

4. tom1987

well thanks for the help, the back springs did the same untill the weght was on them, but not as bad as the front. I think when the engine gets put back in it will be fine thanks again /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. tom1987

[ QUOTE ]
    Doesn't sound right to me. Are you sure they are the correct part for your truck?

[/ QUOTE ] I called the guy and he said that they are the right springs so I guess they are right, but like Resurrection Joe said they should flaten out when I put the drivetrain back init

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

This is normal with front lift springs. They are shorter to clear the frame on compression. Factory fronts are flat, so they pull away from the frame on compression and droop. Lift springs are arched. The shackle eye moves back on compression. If the shackle were at the normal angle, it would hit the frame when the spring compressed. I don't know why the lift manufacturers don't fix that, but they don't. They all do it the cheapest way and that's by shortening the main leaf...

7. tom1987

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I called the guy and he said that they are the right springs so I guess they are right, but like Resurrection Joe said the shackle should stand up stright when I put the drivetrain back in it

8. tom1987

[ QUOTE ]
    This is normal with front lift springs. They are shorter to clear the frame on compression. Factory fronts are flat, so they pull away from the frame on compression and droop. Lift springs are arched. The shackle eye moves back on compression. If the shackle were at the normal angle, it would hit the frame when the spring compressed. I don't know why the lift manufacturers don't fix that, but they don't. They all do it the cheapest way and that's by shortening the main leaf...

[/ QUOTE ] well that make perfect sence thanks for the info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

what they should do is make the springs proper and throw in longer shackles

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

exactly...

11. patrickcampbell

patrickcampbell Registered Member

my guess would be that you needed 56" springs and u got 52

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]