Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front springs

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gbfan, Oct 26, 2003.

1. gbfan

gbfan Registered Member

Could somebody take some measurements or school me. 71 blazer front leaf springs center of the bolt head in frame side bushing to center of the bolt head front mounting bracket. i have driver side at 44" and the pass side at 43" the axle looks like it is in there crucked i just installed a set of 8" superlift springs rode fine before but it just doesnt seem right

2. Tuff

Tuff Registered Member

I'll see what I can get you some numbers. Where in SC are you? I'm in columbia.

3. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

measure from the center of the hub of the front axle to the center of the rear axle. measure both sides

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

got one spring in backwards? do they have arrows on them?

5. gbfan

gbfan Registered Member

Sumter, I have my wheels hubs and knuckles off doing a crossover steering and putting in the springs got the springs in but the axle just doesnt look right or measure right

6. gbfan

gbfan Registered Member

same thing i thought but i looked both of them over they have degree shims so they could only mixed up LT or RT. the mounting holes in the frame above the shackle to the mounting hole up front are an inch different. i measured the out side to out side of the springs up front and back by the shackle and both are dead even. one side is just an inch shorter than the other

7. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

sounds like one spring is sagging more than the other. Mine mesures 43 on both sides. That is from shackle eye to shackle eye. Since we're on the subject I know a second gen messures 46" is there antthing that mesures 48?

8. gbfan

gbfan Registered Member

a saging spring would not make a difference on the fixed points would it. if you had 43 from the eye bushing in the frame to the eye bushing up front not the lower shackle bolt

9. Stroked72Blazer

I think we are measureing from differrent places. I measured from one end of the spring in the center of the eye to the other end at the center of the eye. If I understand you correctly you are measuring from the same place in the front to the top of the shackle eye in the frame. If you are coming up with different measurements on each side then you are measuring wrong, you have a bent frame, or your bushings are shot. I don't know if the later would be measurable in this manner or not, but it looks posible. I did go out and measure the way you are talking about and came up with about 43 3/4 on both sides from front to top of rear shackle where the bolt goes through the frame. Be careful not to let the shocks to interfer with the tape in different ways on each side.

10. gbfan

gbfan Registered Member

Thanks a million for those measurements now I just have to figure out what happened no visible signs of damage to the front thanks again

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm 99.99% sure that stock springs are symmetrical, so it won't make any difference which way they are mounted....the spring pin is centered perfectly between the spring eyes.

However, I know that I've seen those little "front ->" stickers on aftermarket spring packs, so maybe the new ones are NOT symmetrical and one is installed backwards???

Or, as was mentioned....there is something else going on with your frame, bracketry, or bushings causing the discrepancy....???

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I don't think you could install the springs backwards if you wanted to. The spring eyes have different size bolts going through them. I think 9/16 in the front and 7/16 in the rear /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

If you measure the springs and they have different distances from eye to center pin than send them back!

13. Stroked72Blazer

from the way I understand it he would get the same mesurement with the spring in or out.

14. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

i just checked a set I have sitting on the floor...I get 22-1/2" from the center pin out the the shackle hole on both sides...and that makes them 45" along the arc...