Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front suspension dilemma

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scottsdalerob, Aug 29, 2005.

1. scottsdalerob

scottsdalerob Registered Member

here goes my situation. i have 12 inches of lift on my k30 with 2 inch over stock shackles so my pinion angle sucks for setting up a workable driveline, i have the housing with the spring pad so cut and turn is what im avoiding. i know it's more of the combined transfer flange degress and slope that makes the driveline possible but couldnt i make it alot easier for jesse at high angle to make me one say if the front pinion was faced up more than it is? so the first question is where do i take the reading for caster so as to not go to far? and the second question is that with the longer front shackles what if i end up needing some 12 degree or better shims to turn the pinion up a little, is that doable on a 60? and lastly what'n the hell is everyone else doing for drivelines that run 12 inches or more up front? lowering the transfer only makes the front driveline angle harder to get in a working dependable way, hell i wanna do my rig right but i am stuck at this point and it looks like it will be winter now before i can get it to leonards in hillsboro. even then he might just laugh at my request without cutting and turning/milling the front 60.--fuggin' A!!! any help or advice would be needed appreciated at this point

2. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

honestly,

most guys i've seen run 12"+ of lift, never have front drive shafts :waytogo:

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

:waytogo:

4. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

There a lot of people that run 12 inch lifts and HAVE a working driveshaft.. I think you might get more help with your question over at customtruckshowcase.. They run some big lifted trucks over there so I'm sure they can tell you what you need to do to make it work :thumb:

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

The correct place to measure is on the top of the steering knuckle...you usually have a nice flat spot there to lay the angle finder (especially with aftermarket crossover or highsteer arms!)

From what I recall, you want between 4 and 6 degrees of caster. The battle (as you already hinted at) is that trying for a good caster value forces the pinion in the WRONG direction for good driveline angles.

A high pinion D60 would help somewhat with the angle on the front driveshaft, as would cutting and turning the C's...as you mentioned, the machining of the spring perch on the passenger side is a bit ugly.

Have you considered a Doubler or some kind of "divorced" transfercase setup? Pushing the case back further would help to reduce the angularity somewhat. Maybe a combination of that plus spacing it down a couple of inches...???

Your final solution is probably going to be a combination of small "tweaks" as opposed to one large magic solution... :thinking:

6. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I bought my truck with 12" of lift and an Arizona Driveline's Bad Boy Jr front driveshaft. The previous owner couldn't keep the shaft from breaking in the beast, nor could I.

Jesse is AWESOME about answering newbie questions... call him, explian what you have, what you want to do, and he will really be able to help guide you. I must have spent 2 hours on the phone with im before I ordered my new front shaft after doing my 52" swap.

Good luck

Mike